Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heaviest, most awkward car related thing you've lifted or the worst job you've tackled?
mr henderson

posted on 25/9/08 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Heaviest, most awkward car related thing you've lifted or the worst job you've tackled?

For me that would probably be when I helped a fried lift a 2ltr Pinto (fully dressed) out of a Dutton Sierra.

The plan was that he would tie the engine to a 6foot beam of wood (that was pretty heavy on it's own) and then we would each get one end of a beam on our shoulder and lift it out of the car.

At first we could barely shift it. I then asked him if the clutch cable (which hadn't been disconnected) passed through any part of the engine. No, it didn't came the reply. So we heaved again. Still no joy.

I asked again about the clutch cable. He had another look. Yes, it did got through the flange at the back of the engine. He disconnected and at last the engne was free. So we grunted and heaved and out it came. Dutton Sierras are quite high (think Jeep copy) so lifting that bugger out was quite a feat. Not planning to do anything like that again!

Lifting a fully assembled MGB front subframe onto a B&D workmate, I seem to remember that being quite chunky as well, Surprised the Workmate didn't collapse.

Refitting the differential to a Mk2 Triumph Vitesse was interesting as well. The spring is part of the assembly and the diff has to be lifted against its downward push. I found out later that the factory method involved levers that allowed the whole weight of the car to compress the spring while the bolts were done up.

Anyone else have any stories to add?

John

[Edited on 25/9/08 by mr henderson]

iiyama

posted on 25/9/08 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Not quite in that league but i can lift my Busa engine/gearbox around the garage!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 25/9/08 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Think you have got everyone beat there Mr H - we all know there is NOTHING heavier than a Pinto!!
l0rd

posted on 25/9/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
My MX5 engine will be.
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/9/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Well the worst thing I ever lifted off a car was my last Beetles front suspension as despite what others claim it ain’t light at all. So when I did drag it off it fell to the floor taking me with it and I battered my head off the bonnet then fell on my back stunned not feeling to great…ouch my poor head

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 25/9/08 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Engine & gearbox assembly out of and then back into a RAV4. And I got the easy job cos the front end was removed in a body shop for rebuild on a front end repair.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

theconrodkid

posted on 25/9/08 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
bedford TK 4 pot lump,lifted into the back of a van....that is heavy,saw a perkins V8 on an engine crane,the boom bent like a banana that is extra heavy

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

oldtimer

posted on 25/9/08 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Is this inresponse to todays forum question about engine deliveries??

I posted this below on that thread.

""I've never had a driver hesitate from helping - but never for an engine either...

We all seem to be getting unhelpful, or soft, or restriced by health and safety/insurance.

I'm no longer a firefighter, but, one of the first tests was you had lift an inert firefighter of the same weight (90kg) onto your shoulders(difficult), get them out of a window (still on your shoulders) and carry them down a ladder from the third floor...
makes giving someone a hand witha motor seem a small request.

It's not that motors are that heavy but they are awkward.""

tegwin

posted on 25/9/08 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Lifting a subaru boxer engine into a hovercraft nearly did my back in.... Heavy engine, and if you put it down on the deck it would have gone straight through....

Much pain!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

hughpinder

posted on 25/9/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I recently lifted a fully dressed 2.0 zetec with gearbox and driveshafts attached to move it 10 yards along the drive - I only had to get it off the ground enough to not drag, but it was b~@@~D heavy (and took about 4 lifts)!
Howlor

posted on 25/9/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Me and the BinL lifted a Redtop out of a Cavalier with gearbox and Transfer box. The guy had removed the front panel to help get it out but it was still chuffing heavy!

We then put it in his rotten trailer. By the time we got it home the tyres were red hot! A lift up the drive and into his garage was the last straw.

Please cough sir while I check you out!

Steve

mcerd1

posted on 25/9/08 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Think you have got everyone beat there Mr H - we all know there is NOTHING heavier than a Pinto!!

I can top that - a Granada with a Pinto in it

but I did use a small tool

but I've done more than my share of pinto lifting by hand too - 1 donor engine, 3 spare ones and counting.....

[Edited on 25/9/08 by mcerd1]

Howlor

posted on 25/9/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Isn't that worthy of a visit from Norris McQwerter if you lifted that with your small tool?!

whitestu

posted on 25/9/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
It will be a Zetec off a truck on my own next Monday due to useless bloody couriers !!

[See my post on engine delivery]

02GF74

posted on 25/9/08 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
a couple of zetec, not at the same time would be heaviest although a series land rover gearbox with transfer box come pretty close.

the most awkward would be liffing a diff, whilst under a car into the Ford axle; not the heaviest but hard to get any leverage on it ...

graememk

posted on 25/9/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
it would be getting my 15st mother out of the passenger seat after taking her to town in the indy.

minordelay

posted on 25/9/08 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Type 9 4x4 sierra gearbox out and back in again on the floor with no jack!!!!
RickRick

posted on 25/9/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
take into account that i'm a 10st weed, i lifted the r1 complete into my kit, also the hewland mk8 gearbox, and the whole rear suspesion on a mates tiga sc84 sports 2000 jobbie, that was heavy, and bits kept flopping about and getting in the way!
nstrug

posted on 25/9/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

[Edited on 25/9/08 by mcerd1]

There are few problems in this world that cannot be solved by the subtle application of a 3/8" John Deere universal tool.

Nick

BenB

posted on 25/9/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Most difficult thing I did (kind of related) was trying to undo the clutch nut on my ST engine. Lying on my front under the car, neck held at 90 degrees (backwards) so I could try and see what I was doing trying to apply enough oomph via a breaker bar to shift the nut... Could hardly move the next day (not surprisingly!!!).....

I did try to think of an alternative but nothing seemed to work due to things getting in the way of the bar....

mr henderson

posted on 25/9/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Most difficult thing I did (kind of related)

I think we could expand this thread to include difficult stuff!

In that vein, there was the time when I, fairly new to working on cars, decided to take the head of a 6cylinder triumph engine. These heads are held to the block by studs. I got it up a couple of inches (after generous applications of hammer related force, but then it went just ever so slighly out of parallel with the block, and got solidly bound up on the studs.

I can't remember how long it took to get it off completely. It was a long time, might have been days rather than hours. I didn't know about stud extractors then, but IIRC it would have been too late to use one anyway.

John

Humbug

posted on 25/9/08 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
My K-series (with anciliaries, no gearbox) from the back of the Passat estate to the garage floor... on my own. I felt several inches shorter afterwards
coozer

posted on 25/9/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I found lifting the diff up under the car and getting the bolts in was the heavist problem I had... harder than lifting a zetec engine engine out of the boot!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MikeRJ

posted on 25/9/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Rebuilt my crossflow on a bench in my basement, and then realised there was no possible way I could get the engine lifter to it, so had to pick it up myself and lower it to the floor. All went well until I started lowering it down and then found my t-shirt had caught on something on the engine! There was no way I could have lifted it back up so had to continue lowering it, and ripped a huge tear in my t-shirt.

Bloody stupid thing to do in retrospect as it was really too heavy for one person. Got away with it, but won't be doing it again.

Tipping the striker onto it's side (see avatar) by myself was also a bit hairy. It's a very light car, probably no more than 350kg with the engine out of it, but it took a large scaffold plank and a lot of grunting and sweating to tip it up. Just glad I'd managed to correctly align the pile of wheels/tyres for the roll cage to rest on!

[Edited on 25/9/08 by MikeRJ]

Johnmor

posted on 25/9/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Rangerover

Replacing the clutch in a clasic Rangerover, you need to tilt back the engine and then lower the gearbox and transfer box (joined) down from under the car to get access to clutch, Nightmare , I have done loads of engine lifts including V8 mercedes and V6 alfas but thi was the worst yet.
Lying underthe car with about 150 KGS above your chest , a few inches of clearance and then try to line up the splines for the clutch, you can only support it throught the gear lever acces hole within the car.
Never, ever again!!!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.