Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seized caliper - Silicone?
JeffHs

posted on 3/10/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Seized caliper - Silicone?

Any ideas? I have rebuilt good M16 calipers with new seals and they are both showing signs of seizing (cooked pads after a very short drive). I've just spent an hour trying to move 1 of the pistons back - a lot of brute force including hammered steel wedges between disc and caliper but no movement.
I'm baffled because I've rebuilt similar calipers in the past with no problems at all. The only difference this time is the use of silicone fluid - from first fill. Could this be the problem?

mookaloid

posted on 3/10/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't have thought that Silicone Fluid would cause that to happen. More likely to be a bit of crud or some corrosion causing the pistons to jam.

I would strip the calipers and inspect for the above.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 3/10/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
did you unscrew the bleed nipple before trying to move the piston back? sure you did, but just checking

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/10/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
both seizing at the same time can't be crud

neither can it be anything to do with blead screws, calipers are meant to be retracted with the screw closed, the seals do this normally.

one possible cause it that the silicon has caused the hoses to swell, thus preventing the fluid returning, to check loosen the bleed screw and if the pistons then move that's the problem.

don't use silicon on a road car as it absorbs water even worse than ordinary fluid, use the normal dot 5 etc as there's nothing wrong with it.

]

[Edited on 3/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 3/10/08 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Normal caliper seals arent compatable with silicone brake fluid, it causes them to swell, then the calipers wont retract properly when you lift your foot off the brake.

As Whippy says, just use normal dot 5, its plenty good enough.

Heres a quote:
quote:
The single most common brake system failure caused by a contaminant is swelling of the rubber components (piston seals etc.) due to the introduction of petroleum based products (motor oil, power steering fluid, mineral oil etc.) A small amount is enough to do major damage. Flushing with mineral spirits is enough to cause a complete system failure in a short time. I suspect this is what has happened when some BMW owners changed to DOT 5 (and then assumed that silicone caused the problem). Flushing with alcohol also causes problems. BMW brake systems should be flushed only with DOT 3 or 4.

If silicone is introduced into an older brake system, the silicone will latch unto the sludge generated by gradual component deterioration and create a gelatin like goop which will attract more crud and eventually plug up metering orifices or cause pistons to stick. If you have already changed to DOT 5, don't compound your initial mistake and change back. Silicone is very tenacious stuff and you will never get it all out of your system. Just change the fluid regularly. For those who race using silicone fluid, I recommend that you crack the bleed screws before each racing session to insure that there is no water in the calipers.

David

[Edited on 3/10/08 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JeffHs

posted on 3/10/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I still don't understand this. Every component in my system is new - has never been in contact with DOT4, The car has only been driven for 20 miles (it's still not registered - DVLA problems). Google research suggests that there is no problem at all with new seals and silicone .... and yet!
britishtrident

posted on 3/10/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
The fuid wont't be the problem --- sounds like a master cylinder problem --- piston isn't going back far enough as blakep82 suggested crack open a bleed nipple if the pistons go back look at your master cylinder pushrods and pedal adjustment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to clear up some confusion that might creep into the thread DOT5 is Silicone fluid, DOT5.1 is normal fluid as is DOT4.

DOT5 silicone fluid should not harm any seals (at least in theory)
DOT5 fluid dosen't absorb water so any moisture (water) in the system tend to collect in pockets.

DOT5.1 absorbs water -- which reduces the boiling point and causes corrosion. It is more hygroscopic than DOT4 fluid so has to be changed more often.

WD40 or even trace contamination of mineral oil will drastically reduce the life of brake seals.

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/10/08 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Rear shoes back pressuring the system due to the adjusters not locking in correctly?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

TOO BADD

posted on 3/10/08 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Used silicone in mine since new ( 5 years 7000 miles ) without any probs.
zetec7

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
This might sound silly, but...did you open the filler cap on the reservoir? Some of them don't breathe (or, if so, is the breather hole plugged?, or is the reservoir full to the cap, with no room to expand?), which will put continuous pressure on the system (pressure will build and build each time you put the brakes on), as though you had your foot on the pedal... I've seen this happen.

[Edited on 4/10/08 by zetec7]

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.