Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 carb needle removal ??
sooty

posted on 6/10/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
R1 carb needle removal ??

How do you remove the needles on Carbs from a 1998 Yamaha R1 YZFR (40mm chokes).

All I can see is the plastic bits on top of the jets in the dash pots, do you pull these out to release the needles.

Thanks

Dingz

posted on 6/10/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
If you mean looking down on the top of the diaphragm, down the throttle slide there is a plastic part with a flat, grip it with a pair of pliers, pull and wiggle and the needle will come out with it.
mediabloke

posted on 6/10/08 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
If you mean looking down on the top of the diaphragm, down the throttle slide there is a plastic part with a flat, grip it with a pair of pliers, pull and wiggle and the needle will come out with it.

Definitely the preferred way, but I had a mare with mine until I discovered the Argos catalogue... They make a lovely firm but pressure-absorbing surface to press down on.

Hold the slide face down, needle & slide perfectly vertical, press down GENTLY (unless you like scouring the workshop / garage for tiny springs, washers and plastic bits) and the needle, spring, washer and retainer come out all together.

When you come to put it back together, just don't try too hard to straighten the needle retainer up with a pair of pliers / box spanner. Strangely, those thin plastic fingers in the bottom of the slide get finer if you look at them the wrong way, and you find it's time to hand over £38 to your local Yamaha dealer. Stop laughing, it's true...I was that idiot...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.