Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: My chassis photo shoot
Jesus-Ninja

posted on 17/10/08 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
My chassis photo shoot

I don't think I'll win any prizes for my photography. The idea is that I'll have a blank-ish canvas on top of which to sketch some body work ideas.

Anyone good with photoshop? I'd love to completely remove the background on some of the better ones.

Also welcome any productive critique on the chassis.

Suspension geometry tool here >>> http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81376

tomgregory2000

posted on 17/10/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
lookin good
mark chandler

posted on 17/10/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
looks very interesting, for me a few more diagonals across the car.

Infact its pretty inspirational !

hughpinder

posted on 17/10/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I like it. Its quite similar to what I'm planning.
A few things I would look at (but maybe not change)

I think the racing regs (if you are bothered) say you need a diagonal brace from one side to the top of the roll cage, above the drivers head, and there's something about a maximum of 150mm from the back of the helmet to the roll cage which it looks like you exceed if the seats in its intended position (iirc).
I think I would put diagonals across the floor under the seat to meet in the centre.
I might put a bolt on side to side bar joining the tops of the rear shock absorbers. I think something like a lift out X brace was added to the ultima over the engine to increase torsional rigidity.
Hmm, looking again though it all looks prety solid so probably none of the above is actually needed.
Somehow the front and back sections look so solid that the centre portion looks weakest - but looks similar to book locosts so I guess its acually plenty strong enough.
Ramble over
Regards
Hugh

Jesus-Ninja

posted on 17/10/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
OK, I like it.

Thanks!

quote:
I think the racing regs (if you are bothered) say you need a diagonal brace from one side to the top of the roll cage, above the drivers head, and there's something about a maximum of 150mm from the back of the helmet to the roll cage which it looks like you exceed if the seats in its intended position (iirc).

Yeah, I thought about a diagonal, but the enclosed hoop, described by the hoop and the harness bar, is quite shallow already. Didn't know about the 150mm thing though, but it makes sense. I plan to extend the rear cage forward, and tie it into the front struts. i also expect this to ad to the rigidity of the centre.

quote:
I think I would put diagonals across the floor under the seat to meet in the centre.

I thought about this. What you possibly can't see in the pic from above is that there is a cross member just under the front of the seat. It's kind of camoflaged on the passenger side! What you certainly can't see is that the seat sits below the lower rail, so a diagonal is not possible. I'll be relying on the floor to add rigidity in this area.

quote:
I might put a bolt on side to side bar joining the tops of the rear shock absorbers. I think something like a lift out X brace was added to the ultima over the engine to increase torsional rigidity.

Great minds eh? There will definitely be a removable section of CDS between the rear turrets. I intend for this to be part of a panel which will sit vertically behind the engine. I did a trial fitment of the engine tonight (first time after building the structure around the rear shocks) and with a great relief it all fits.

quote:
Hmm, looking again though it all looks prety solid so probably none of the above is actually needed.
Somehow the front and back sections look so solid that the centre portion looks weakest - but looks similar to book locosts so I guess its acually plenty strong enough.
Ramble over
Regards
Hugh

Thanks Hugh. You are right, the middle section is shamelessly robbed from the locost. The front and rear are my own design, although inspired from many sources, and so are probably over engineered. First time building a car, and with no formal plans I've been erring on the side of caution.

Suspension geometry tool here >>> http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81376

Jesus-Ninja

posted on 17/10/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
looks very interesting, for me a few more diagonals across the car.

Infact its pretty inspirational !

Yeah, there's certainly one place I will put diagonals on each side, but you can't really see it in the pics.

the pic below shows it best (I've drawn where I think it should go, in red)

hughpinder

posted on 18/10/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be interested to see how you progress with this, and may rob a few ideas from your chassis

Regads
Hugh

Jesus-Ninja

posted on 19/10/08 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'll be interested to see how you progress with this, and may rob a few ideas from your chassis

Regads
Hugh

Anything I can hekp with, please let me know

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.