Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hayabusa and R1 engine - CO2 emissions grams/Km or grams/mile
sforma

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hayabusa and R1 engine - CO2 emissions grams/Km or grams/mile

Hello,

Anyone could help me on the CO2 emission number (grams/Km or grams/mile of CO2) for a Hayabusa and a R1 engine BEC?

Thanks
Tiago

[Edited on 24/10/08 by sforma]

matt_claydon

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
To my knowledge these tests are not carried out for motorcycles and so no figures are published. Even if they were, the numbers would mean nothing if you were using the bike engine in a car as the CO2 emissions would change dramatically.
sforma

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I need the approximated level of CO2 and CO in grams/Km (or grams/mile), that both the engines above produce. Maybe you could give me some information from normal SVA emissions control. I don’t need the exact number but a more or less value.

This CO2 information is very important, because in Portugal to make the import from UK the taxes that I need to pay are based on the engine size (1000 or 1300cc) and especially the amount of CO2 produced.

smart51

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
None are officially published for motorcycles. You can get a rough idea by calculating it yourself.

A peugeot 107 1.0i emitts 109g of CO2 per km (plus almost 1g of other carbon emissions). It does 61.4 MPG officially. All of the carbon in the fuel must come out of the exhaust pipe and more than 99% of it is CO2.

An R1 BEC( driven just as gently as the eugeot has to be to get its 61.4 MPG) will probably get something like 38 to 40 MPG. Its CO2 per km emissions figure will then be around 165 to 175 g/km. Not that this figure is of any official use.

Edit to say: 99% of exhaust carbon is CO2 only if you have a Cat fitted and the fuelling is calibrated so that the Cat does its job properly. Older carbed engines tuned a bit rich will make a few percent CO.

[Edited on 24-10-2008 by smart51]

sforma

posted on 24/10/08 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
between 165 and 175 it isn't a big issue.

a 1000 cc R1 with 175 grams/Km CO2 pay´s +/- 1000 pounds. And maybe with a powercomander it could be decreased before the inspection.

[Edited on 24/10/08 by sforma]

matt_claydon

posted on 24/10/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
What exactly is contained in the 'inspection' you talk of?

There is no way CO2 output in grammes/km can be measured without a chassis dyno, a trained driver, a drive-cycle computer and some very expensive gas collection and weighing equipment.

CO2 output depends much more on vehicle mass, aerodynamics and gearing than it does on the specific engine you use.

nstrug

posted on 24/10/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure they measure CO2 at the inspection??? CO certainly, but measuring CO2 is hard and extremely expensive to do - certainly VOSA centres in the UK don't have the kit to do it. It requires a rolling road running the standard EU cycle and volumetric analysis kit.

I don't see how a PowerCommander is going to change CO2. Well, in theory you could run very rich which would drastically reduce your CO2 emissions, but of course your CO and HC emissions would go through the roof.

As has been mentioned, there are no CO2/km figures available for motorcycles, and even if there was, the numbers are for the vehicle, not the engine - to compare, a 3-series and an X5 can have exactly the same engine, but the X5 will have substantially higher CO2 (much heavier and crap aerodynamics). Exactly the same happens when you take a bike engine and put it in a car.

Nick

sforma

posted on 24/10/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
i need to confirm 100% sure about the CO2 and/or CO. I must search for the complete Portuguese legislation.

This afternoon i went to a Kawasaki dealer. i ask for the registration document and for a 2008 zx-10R the value of CO is 0,623 grams/Km.

nstrug

posted on 24/10/08 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Right, that is CO _not_ CO2. Please double check what it is they need to measure.

CO is the horribly poisonous one that causes death by asphyxia and brain damage, CO2 is the inert, non-toxic one that causes death by rising water levels, drought and food shortages

Nick

road warrior

posted on 25/10/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Co2 for an 06 R1 in a MNR was 188 grams/km during an official rolling road emission test.

This was completly stock e.g. no power commander etc.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sforma

posted on 25/10/08 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
During the road emission test where you using a cat in your MNR?

quote:
Originally posted by road warrior
Co2 for an 06 R1 in a MNR was 188 grams/km during an official rolling road emission test.

This was completly stock e.g. no power commander etc.

road warrior

posted on 26/10/08 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yes but it was the bike cat so it is pretty small. A larger cat may have helped?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.