Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Road Legal Slick would you recommend?
Antnicuk

posted on 27/10/08 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Which Road Legal Slick would you recommend?

I have finally sorted my wheels and now need some tyres, which do people rate out of the road legal slick like the Toyo R888.

I used the R888 on a road car and though they were great but not a kit car.

I am looking for 205/50/15 fron and 225/50/15 rear. I know Toyo make them in these sizes.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

matt_claydon

posted on 27/10/08 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on your budget, most people rate the Yoko A048s slightly higher than the Toyos, but the Toyos are virtually half the price and by most accounts very nearly as sticky. Then there's Avon ACB10s and Dunlop's D01J, but again your talking silly money in comparison to the R888s.

[Edited on 27/10/08 by matt_claydon]

blakep82

posted on 27/10/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
what are these tyres like in wetness though. see, i'd like something like that, but don't fancy getting caught out in rain on a motorway with tyres that don't like rain

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tomblyth

posted on 27/10/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
toyo link to site!

toyo say there ok!

Alan B

posted on 27/10/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't slicks untreaded?....therefore how can you have a road legal one?

Puzzled

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 27/10/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B

Puzzled

I think its safe to say he didnt mean it literally but rather the minimally treaded road legal track day type tyres.

As above, i'd go for the R888's as a compromise of cost vs performance. I'm convinced a Yoko A048R will perform slightly better but at a financial cost, and as its not for racing is it worth it when you'll only ever find out on the track (if you are good enough!!)

dhutch

posted on 27/10/08 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B

Puzzled

You are right that the term 'road legal slick' is a contridiction terms! Annoys me too!!
- However it seams to be a fairly common term for a tyre that has the legal minimum tread. Or else you can call them 'road legal semi-slick' which seams to be the same deal.

Ive also heard there good in the wet.
- Although i dont know if this is just 'good, for a semi-slick' or that there actaully as good a goodyear eagle or simular. All bar aqua planeing ofcause!!

Daniel

blakep82

posted on 27/10/08 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Some road legal track tyres have to provide warnings about their use in the wet. Whilst not designed as a wet tyre, the proxes R888 out performs other track tyres here too.

yeahhhhhh, better than other track tyres, but if other track tyres were like driving on ice when the track is damp...

not sure i'd use them on a road car really

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

StevieB

posted on 27/10/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
plenty of people who use R888's on road cars (well, road going se7ens).

I think they;re a bit twitchier in the wet and have to be a little more careful, but then, isn't that the case anyway with a fast, light, rear wheel drive car?

alister667

posted on 27/10/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
They're fine in the wet. All the Roadsport (NI RGB series) guys use them and all have given good reports even in standing water conditions. That said any sharp sports car can get tricky in the damp, but you'd be fine up a motorway, or even to get you home.
I driven mine in wet (not standing water) conditions and found no problems. They are so superior in the dry to tin top road tyres and decent value compared to the Avons / Yokos, I'd recommend them.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TOO BADD

posted on 27/10/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Had Yoko 32's ( 225 50 15 ) on the rear of my ST and replaced with 888's recently. Less than half the cost with more grip. Recommended by DJ sportscars. Can't coment on the wet but doubt if much different from the yoko's. Crap with a wide tyre !
antonio

posted on 27/10/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
tryed both 888 and 048 on my lotus elise, manly on track but also a few KMS on road.
048 are better on track, not because of grip, but because they are better to keep a good presure.888 keep on warming and after a few laps, they are too much inflated.
but 888 are best value for money, IMHO. they are also better than 048 on wet (very good when new!)
048 for road use sounds a bit overkilled.

mccsp

posted on 27/10/08 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I race in the mk2 golf gti (1025kg's weight) championship. We use this R888's. I have driven to and from a few races in the wet, as well as in a few very wet test sessions. I haven't used A048, in my opinion the tyres are good, they provide good grip. The level of feedback could be better in the dry, but is not bad when you get used to them.

In the wet (no standing water) they provide a surprisingly high level of grip. I would really not recomend them for standing water. If you can see the puddles, then avoid them and you will be fine, but in a downpoor you will wish you had traditional road tyres. Driving through peterborough on a dual carriageway, I did change lane without trying to, when I hit a large amount of standing water, and I was only doing 50mph, due to the conditions. Hope that helps.

Antnicuk

posted on 27/10/08 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys, 888's it is then!

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

dhutch

posted on 28/10/08 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TOO BADD
Had Yoko 32's ( 225 50 15 ) on the rear of my ST and replaced with 888's recently. Less than half the cost with more grip.

Im on 032's rear at the moment (185 50R13) and wondering what to do.
- On the front i have goodyear eagle's (186 60R13) Which again is how it came when i bought it.

I have the 032's off the front, although not on rims, which would do a track day or too but arnt road legal anymore. Which is assume why the eagals went on , for MOT or somthing.

Apprently there are as good in on a track in the dry. But not as good in the wet, or on the road as you can keep the heat in them.

Eather way the eagle seam very poor underbraking and the 023's not so clever in the wet. A set of R888's would be nice but at £50 a corner i will have to wait a few months yet till i know what money i have where.

Daniel

tootall

posted on 28/10/08 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
camskill is the place to buy 888 from i have 13" 185 60sfront 205 60s rear on my indy and my pall loved them so orderd some 195 50 15s from camskill online £65 each delivered to the door next day (local toyo dealer quoted 110 fitted each)
they advertise in back of practical preformance car

[Edited on 28/10/08 by tootall]

some people dream of sucsess, others just get on and do it !!

skydivepaul

posted on 28/10/08 at 02:09 AM Reply With Quote
just to reiterate. 888's are a good choice.

888's are just about as good and half the price of A048's.
They last longer too as the A048's wear down very quickly.

Avoid ACB10's for the road

cheers Paul

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.