Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: virus on comp
tjoh84

posted on 3/11/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
virus on comp

hiya i have picked up a virus from what i thought was facebook but not i hacve tried tio restore comp i have avg and have run scan 4 times now but it cant fix the probs says i have a worm help please
omega0684

posted on 3/11/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
can you not restore your comp from its last saved point, think you have to re-start you comp and then boot the restore point from DOS
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
meany

posted on 3/11/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
"google" the name of the worm, also what does AVG site say to do?

tjoh84

posted on 3/11/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
i tried a restore to sep might just do it to day 1
Jon Ison

posted on 3/11/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
May be worth trying "one care" i think its called, online pc doctor.

Jon Ison

posted on 3/11/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Found it.........

Click me

greenwood03

posted on 3/11/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
depending on what the virus is it may not let you download new antivirus. if tahts the case you'll need to try and do so by starting pc in Safe mode. Otherwise 2 decent programs that may be worth checking out: malwareantivirus - free program, and can be very effective. Also, RegCure - but thats a pay job.
geoff shep

posted on 3/11/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
You would want to get rid of the offending item before restoring. Some virus removal routines require restore to be off. Find the name of the apparent intrusion and then look for it on a reputable site like symantec as they will most likely have a removal tool.
britishtrident

posted on 3/11/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
You need to start by booting into safe mode then turning system restore off before trying to clear the virus.

If you have a single user system it may help to create another admin user,
Then log out and log in as the other user,
Then set the original user to an ordinary user and manual clean out any temporary internet files for the original user name.
Down load "Hijackthis" and clear out any suspect or unwanted chages to the registry.
Only then run your antivirus software.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

The Doc

posted on 3/11/08 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've been there!

I downloaded the virus programme AVAST which is free and excellent. This will scan your machine on bootup and give you a range of options when finding the offending files (I went for delete every time). It got the bugger out for me, where AVG and many others I tried didn't.

Download a copy of Spybot which is also free. This will take ages to scan the hard drive but it was amazing how much crap it found and destroyed on my machine!

These worked for me where all else failed, but of course try these at your own risk etc. etc.

It's worth downloading a copy of 'Regcure' as well but you'll have to pay for that if you want it to repair as well as scan. This tidys up all the crap left behind after uninstalling programs etc.

If you are in any doubt have an 'expert' look at your machine. I took a few chances and they paid off but it doesn't always turn out that way!

Good Luck!

Hope this helps

Mike

Q: Who wants to live until they're 80?
A: Someone who's 79

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.