Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First big trip. Unexpected incident!
alister667

posted on 8/7/04 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
First big trip. Unexpected incident!

I took the car for her first long run - a 200 mile round trip to Dublin. She behaved impeccably - no problems whatsoever, and my ex-workmates who I showed her to couldn't believe how good she looked - and the lucky 3 I gave a lift too - how fast she went. The day stayed dry and the journey was incident free except for 1 brown trouser moment I thought I'd let you know about.
Travelling up the N2 towards Monaghan I took a wee back road to bring me over the border to Armagh. It's a small road, but straight, and as soon as I got onto it I could see something up ahead.
It was a bull. A big, brown, dirty, ignorant, bad-tempered looking bull. Behind it was a guy in a tractor driving behind it forcing it up the road.
I stopped hoping he would direct it into a field long before it got to me, but he didn’t. I looked down at myself, and my bright red windproof coat I was wearing for the journey. Hmmm, I thought to myself, that bull and red rag thing is an urban myth right?
All of a sudden I felt very, very exposed in my wee MK and looked enviously at the folks going past me in a big enclosed people carrier.
What to do? Well I decided to approach with caution in 1st gear. If the bull did make a run at me I’d floor the throttle and with any luck I’d be past it before it could react. I took a deep breath and moved forward slowly.
As I approached the bull it was thankfully too busy being harassed by the bloke in the tractor to pay me much heed, and I managed to get past without incident. Up close it was clear it could have made a total mess of my fibreglass – or indeed me - very easily had it taken the notion.
I’ve read a lot of issues with these great wee cars, but that’s one I’d never considered.
It turned out to be a great day all round as I also got a job offer when I returned home! Bye-bye dole office! Now I’m going to have an income again, I can plan my next build!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 8/7/04 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
nice one Al, just drop the red coat - it'll bump up the premiums!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

alister667

posted on 8/7/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I just noticed - it's the same damn coat I'm wearing in my avatar!!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 8/7/04 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Something similar happened to me, i was on my way back from picking up powder coated parts and a load of cows walked in front of me. they were there for ages so i took a piccy

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

nicklondon

posted on 9/7/04 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
works better than a speed camera
Peteff

posted on 9/7/04 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
That's when you wish you had a reverse gear, eh Ali.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.