Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: converting to toggle switches
b3ngy

posted on 4/9/13 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
converting to toggle switches

I really want to swap out my sierra stalks and use dash mounted toggle switches. All the lights/indicators/hazards work as they should but how difficult is it to swap to toggle switches?? Is it a relatively easy job or will it require a lot of re-wiring? My electrical knowledge isn't great, I can carry out basic voltage and continuity checks etc.
Any help and advice appreciated.

Not Anumber

posted on 4/9/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'd stick to using the stalks. I soon got tired of using dash mounted switches and changed to stalks. Dash mounted indicators and light switches are interesting, quirky and fine for track use but i just found them impractical for use on urban roads- flashing the lights at oncoming traffic on mine meant leaning accross the dashboard to operate 2 switches which i found frankly a bit dangerous at times.
Installing column stalks just made the car a lot more pleasant to drive in town, they are one innovation the mainstream motor manufacturers got right.

iank

posted on 4/9/13 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
If you do it before IVA you'll need some guards like the BMW MINI has for its toggles.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

TimEllershaw

posted on 4/9/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
It's not rocket science and there are plenty of wiring diagrams around to give you a clue.

With headlights you just have to think a little bit about the sequence of what to turn on first ( side -> dip - > main ) and indicators just make sure you can't have both directions on at the same time.

Originally my car had a random selection of old toggle switches that I swapped to savage push-button switches to tidy it up a bit. I didn't mind the lights, but indicators were rubbish, and I've now put them on a stalk.

Tim.

( slight aside : the savage switches look nice, but in reality they feel pretty rubish to press. Make sure you pick something with a solid action )

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 4/9/13 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
flashing the lights at oncoming traffic on mine meant leaning accross the dashboard to operate 2 switches

I think you mean you put them in an inconvenient or the wrong place?

quote:
Originally posted by iank
If you do it before IVA you'll need some guards like the BMW MINI has for its toggles.

No you don't. If you put them in a good spot just behind the steering wheel, they'll be easy to operate, and sit in an area which is exempt from the interior projections part of the manual.
I'm putting mine down the right hand side of the dash board, which is exempt, and reachable from the wheel without too much effort

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

iank

posted on 4/9/13 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
flashing the lights at oncoming traffic on mine meant leaning accross the dashboard to operate 2 switches

I think you mean you put them in an inconvenient or the wrong place?

quote:
Originally posted by iank

No you don't. If you put them in a good spot just behind the steering wheel, they'll be easy to operate, and sit in an area which is exempt from the interior projections part of the manual.
I'm putting mine down the right hand side of the dash board, which is exempt, and reachable from the wheel without too much effort

Fair enough if you manage to get them in the exempt area with readable labels, I know you're in a closed car, but I seem to remember that on 7's, they've tightened up the exempt area on the right of the wheel and all over if you've not got a windscreen as it can be reached from outside the car so counts under the exterior projection rules.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

steve m

posted on 4/9/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
"I'd stick to using the stalks. I soon got tired of using dash mounted switches and changed to stalks. Dash mounted indicators and light switches are interesting, quirky and fine for track use but i just found them impractical for use on urban roads- flashing the lights at oncoming traffic on mine meant leaning across the dashboard to operate 2 switches which i found frankly a bit dangerous at times.
Installing column stalks just made the car a lot more pleasant to drive in town, they are one innovation the mainstream motor manufacturers got right. "

+1

ALL the above makes complete sense, and if I was to make another dash, would go with stalks,
but then that would ruin the ethos of my car

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/9/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Stalk indicators have been on cars a lot longer than the 7 style car has been around. You can get some really classic looking after market ones which will go fine with your car. Also think about a foot operated dip switch their actually quite good to use and in some ways better than a stalk switch.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.