Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wtd Steering wheel buttons
blakep82

posted on 19/7/15 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Wtd Steering wheel buttons

Sooo, my steering column isn't off a ford Vauxhall, whatever, so doesn't have indicator switch built in, with self cancelling (not needing that for iva) or can't thing, so I've got a on-off-on toggle switch on the dash board in the safe area.
Fine for sitting at junctions indicating. Not so great for lane switching on motorways. Can I have momentary buttons on the wheel for that? Is having essentially 2 indicator switches allowed? Can't find any problems in the manual

So, next question is anyone got some buttons available for a sparco wheel?
Like these ones?
Description
Description

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

gremlin1234

posted on 19/7/15 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I would leave something like that till after iva.

were you planning on having the indicator light up just as you press the button? or electronics to make it flash say 3 times? or click on/click off buttons?

blakep82

posted on 19/7/15 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea leaving it actually. But still looking for the buttons for now if anyone has them.

Would be wired up to only make them flash while the button is being pressed, so press and hold, flash flash flash, change lanes, let go, they go off.
The dash switch is reachable, but its a little far away

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Slimy38

posted on 19/7/15 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Why not do it similar to most modern cars, a momentary click flashes the indicators three times?

And another question, are you over-complicating it by having them on the wheel? No car I know of has them on the wheel, they're usually on the column. That would make wiring them easier (no need to cope with the steering wheel turning).

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 20/7/15 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Not that it'll help with your IVA, but I've got buttons on the same boss-mounted ring for indicators. I'm using a Signal Dynamics turn module; one push flashes 5 times, hold button down for 2 seconds = 10 flashes, and 3 seconds = 20 flashes. Both together = hazards. Not sure there's any suppliers in the UK as they're mainly used for custom bikes/trikes etc. and imported from the US, but you may be lucky if someone has one floating around!

If my memory serves me correctly, don't Westfield have a similar unit that could be used with buttons?
Not cheap, mind! (and out of stock)

For buttons, I was looking at the Race Technology items used on Dash2 Pro models; Demon Tweeks have them about £30 a set and they need a 13mm hole though, so unsure if they'll fit. Otherwise Maplins or similar is your best bet.

[Edited on 20/7/15 by Charlie_Zetec]

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

The Black Flash

posted on 20/7/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Why not do it similar to most modern cars, a momentary click flashes the indicators three times?

And another question, are you over-complicating it by having them on the wheel? No car I know of has them on the wheel, they're usually on the column. That would make wiring them easier (no need to cope with the steering wheel turning).

There'll only be a few turns lock to lock, I doubt you need anything clever apart from a bit of slack in the wiring.

rodgling

posted on 23/7/15 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Blake - please see my thread on button plates here:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/30/viewthread.php?tid=199358&page=1?#pid1672357

peter030371

posted on 23/7/15 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Probably you want something like these

Also just noticed you can get the latest spec Signal Dynamics controller for £58 from ebay including delivery and import charges. For that price its not worth me making my own

[Edited on 23/7/15 by peter030371]

19sac65

posted on 23/7/15 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ive used buttons on the steering wheel for flashers and horn
All momentary switches,i used latching relays for the indicators
Press for on,press again for off

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.