Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Earplugs
David Jenkins

posted on 27/4/06 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Earplugs

Anyone know of any earplugs that only filter wind noise a little bit, instead of completely?

Without plugs, the wind roar gets to me after 30 minutes or so; it's probably not doing my hearing any long-term good either.

I bought some really good earplugs and with them in I don't get the wind roar - instead I get a headache from the permanent 'blocked-up' feeling they give me. I don't like the almost total noise reduction.

So what I want is something that will take the 'bang' away, but will still leave me with reasonable hearing ability - anyone know of any?

cheers,
David

emsfactory

posted on 27/4/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Big pink fluffy ear muffs? They have to pink mid.
mookaloid

posted on 27/4/06 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I use the yellow foam ones - they seem to cut out the worst of the noise but you can hear the engine and stuff to a degree

HTH

Mark

nitram38

posted on 27/4/06 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Crash helmet plus autocom intercom

gingerprince

posted on 27/4/06 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
How about fabricating a GRP aerowing to hook on your ear and divert the wind past your lug-hole
Confused but excited.

posted on 27/4/06 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
How about fabricating a GRP aerowing to hook on your ear and divert the wind past your lug-hole

Vortices produced would make the problem worse and any pressure drops created could be injurous.

However, in carbon fibre they would look very stylish.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

David Jenkins

posted on 27/4/06 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Pillocks, the lot of you!

Anyone got a sensible answer (apart from Mark's)?

MikeR

posted on 27/4/06 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
musicians ear plugs take away a fixed (ish) amount of noise. I wear them when clubbing and swear by them. I can enjoy a good night out, with the music quieter and a little duller. When i leave the club i have perfect hearing and ZERO ringing in my ears.

I'd suspect that its the same in the car. I've found one brand to be good (for me) and i'm desperately trying to remember the name, keep u2u'ing me and i'll find out eventually. They cost about 15 pounds a pair.

pajsh

posted on 27/4/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
My lad is the drummer in our band and he uses "proplugs" to keep the noise down to a non damaging level. They cut out alot but still alow him to hear what he and everyone else is playing. Might be an answer but not cheap at around £13 a set.

Cheap foam plugs would probably work just as well.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

eddymcclements

posted on 27/4/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I use the foam type earplugs, but not the cheap square-ended ones. I used to pick up a handful from a wall-mounted dispenser each time I passed through a noisy area at a site I was working on - I think the trademark was Bilson. They're the yellow ones below.

Earplugs
Earplugs

You can buy the Max brand ones here and loads of other online shops, too, I would have thought.

Why are they in my pocket today? It's a sunny day and I came to work in the Locost!

Eddy

andyd

posted on 27/4/06 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
You might like to try looking into hearing protection for shooting purposes. I've recently read info about custom fit ear plugs that are electronic in some way (not sure what way). They are specifically for shooting though so may not be any use for constant wind noise. They cut out loud sudden noise but let other sounds through. They are designed to allow a normal conversation with your fellow shooters without having to shout at one another.

Personally I use a pair of fairly normal ear defenders (for shooting that is not driving) and I can sympathise about the deafness feeling. After an hour of shooting clays on the range it's a real relief to get the damn things off!

Andy

David Jenkins

posted on 27/4/06 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have a pair of ear protectors with electronic protection - excellent, but hard to get under my crash helmet!

David

Benzine

posted on 27/4/06 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a load of these from ebay for metal gigs and driving. Really good. I had no ear ringing after seeing Sunn0))) live. If anyone knows Sunn0))) then you'll know what kind of noise level i'm talking about
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/job-lot-25-PAIRS-EARPLUGS-3M-1100-25p-FREE-p-p-in-UK_W0QQitemZ7612751662QQcategoryZ11900QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[Edited on 27/4/06 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 27/4/06 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Having used all sorts of different earplugs for biking you need to make sure that the plug fits your ear canal - too big and they're painful after a short time, too loose and they don't do the job. Lucy Dell on 01584 781762 (mornings only) will advise on the most suitable type and size from their extensive range. Their prices are very competitive and they are helpful. For the price of the plugs and postage they will send samples to try before buying a lot. 60 secs unprotected windnoise even with a full face helmet can lead to permanent hearing damage - you have been warned! Cheers, Pewe
andyd

posted on 27/4/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I have a pair of ear protectors with electronic protection - excellent, but hard to get under my crash helmet!

David

I'm not talking about using full on ear muffs David!

Take a look here. May be quite expensive as they are custom fit. The article I read was in May's Sporting Gun and the guys name mentioned was Gerry Marsden - 01204 655530. Did a google for the number and came up with the above link.

Not sure it's what you're looking for but may be worth a punt. They may be able to help.

Andy

Mark Allanson

posted on 27/4/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
When in the RN, we were issued with very small ear plugs for the rifle range, they gave perfect hearing at normal volumes and frequencies. When actually firing, they muffled out the severe bang almost entirely. All they were made of was a plastic ear shaped pellet with a small metal disc with a ting hole in it. The simplist solutions are always the best.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

NS Dev

posted on 1/5/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Anyone know of any earplugs that only filter wind noise a little bit, instead of completely?

Without plugs, the wind roar gets to me after 30 minutes or so; it's probably not doing my hearing any long-term good either.

I bought some really good earplugs and with them in I don't get the wind roar - instead I get a headache from the permanent 'blocked-up' feeling they give me. I don't like the almost total noise reduction.

So what I want is something that will take the 'bang' away, but will still leave me with reasonable hearing ability - anyone know of any?

cheers,
David

I hate too much sound blocking by earplugs too but we have to wear them at work (steelmill).

We have a variety available and I have tried all of them, and have settled on a type that work very well and allow you to hear still.

u2u me your address and I'll post you a handful to try.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

David Jenkins

posted on 1/5/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.