Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: track day rules
adam1985

posted on 16/10/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
track day rules

hi all i asked on here the other day about possible track day cars and have decided its goin be either a 205 gti or golf mk2 gti but i aint sure on track day rules does a car have to be moted or pass a saftey test before hand and do you have to get insurance i know about the db rule and am pretty sure these cars wont reach that any help is apprieciated adam
speedyxjs

posted on 16/10/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Doesnt need MOT but must be deemed safe iirc

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

adam1985

posted on 16/10/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
that sounds ok dont really want to be thrashing around in an unsafe car anyway do you have to have any special insurance of any sort
nick205

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think you need insurance as the track fee should cover public liabilty aspects - I think!

adam1985

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
didnt think so but what would happen if for instance i crash into another car and write it off
meany

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i am aware, that would be their loss.
any track day insurance taken out only covers yourself ( and track property?).
if you collide with another car, its only you thats covered.

thats the way i understand it, but obviously best to talk to the insurers .

of course you dont have to believe anything i just said and dont take it as gospel

[Edited on 16/10/08 by meany]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 16/10/08 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yes meany is correct,you have to stand to your own damage on a trackday even if its not your fault,you sign a disclaimer before you go on track,which states you are aware of the risks.
I have just bought a renault 172 sport for doing a few trackdays over the winter,while I am building my next MK because I am missing my trackdays,its not going to be like the Indy,not had it on track yet, but its a rapid little thing,and they can be picked up as cheap as chips,roll on my 1st track day in it. Rescued attachment clio.jpg
Rescued attachment clio.jpg

smart51

posted on 16/10/08 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Track day rules say your car should be road legal or capable of passing MSA scruteneering. My car has never been checked.

Damage is every driver for themself. If your car is written off, you've lost it. Like the BMW M3 CSL that rolled at Cadwell whilst I was there or the TVR that went head first into the wall. You can buy insurance that covers that cost but it isn't cheap.

will121

posted on 16/10/08 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Track day rules say your car should be road legal or capable of passing MSA scruteneering. My car has never been checked.

Same with me never been checked apart from noise, think if you look in the small print it is the 'drivers' responsibility to ensure the car is road or MSA standard if the the track day organiser checks they then take responsibility for it being to an acceptable standard, if post accident your car was found to be faulty may be excluded from their 3rd party insurance. ive got a 2litre fiesta Si just for track days however it is MoT'ed and insured (for road use under a stage rally policy) as i havent got a trailer so have to drive it to and from tracks. i did enquire about track day insurance but it was a £3k excess for first 3 track days reducing to £1k thereafter!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.