Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Dry sump
eddymcclements

posted on 18/4/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Dry sump

Following on from my sump/tarmac interface (see http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=42558) and the ensuing thoughts about dry sumping (see also http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=38241&page=2) I've made some more progress.

I already bought a Westfield dry sump tank off eBay

and have now bought a Pinto oil pump and dismantled it for the gears. I'm going to make a new housing to accept the gears and fit a longer shaft and bearings plus oil seal at the front, and bore and tap the rear to take fittings for the scavenge hoses.

Gears plus 3" billet I had lying around
Pinto oil pump gears
Pinto oil pump gears

Cut off a length of billet, parted and faced, drilled and tapped for the bolts holding the pump body together (the pump body is in two parts in this picture, but you can't see the join)
Dry sump pump parts 1
Dry sump pump parts 1

The same parts, but separated
Dry sump pump parts 2
Dry sump pump parts 2

Next steps are to machine out the middle, press out the short shaft from the 4-node impeller and find some 1/2" silver steel rod to make a longer shaft, a couple of ball races and a 1/2" oil seal.

Eddy

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
i like the cut of your jib
what lathe have you got?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MikeR

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
is it really that simple, i thought the pump had to be self priming for when it sucked air on corners / accel / braking
eddymcclements

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ex-school 5" Boxford. Would have liked an AUD (gearbox for screwcutting and power crossfeed) or BUD (power-crossfeed) but ended up with a CUD (change gears for screwcutting, 3mm pitch leadscrew and backgear, but no power crossfeed). Takes a little bit longer to set up , but you can achieve the same results in the end. This pump project is immensely satisfying.

Cheers,

Eddy

SeaBass

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Is that 3" Aluminium round bar your using??

eddymcclements

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
MikeR - the truthful answer is...I don't know. The pump will be mounted very low down, probably level with the sump, so if the pump has trouble priming then the level of oil will soon rise to be the same as the scavenge pipe and this should then automatically prime the pump.

I've been looking at the Pace Products web site their Slim Jim and Compact C pumps are very similar internally - I can't see any reason why they would prime and mine wouldn't. Time will tell.

Cheers,

Eddy

eddymcclements

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
SeaBass - yes, I bought a lump of it a while back (I was going to make some TBs before motorcycle ones became widely available). I think it's 6082 or 6061 and machines really nicely.

Cheers,

Eddy

MikeR

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
good luck and make sure you keep us posted. I'd always imagined dry sump pumps contained some magical black arts.

Is there not some scope here to do a two stage pump. One low down to collect the oil and one somewhere else to pump it into the engine?

eddymcclements

posted on 18/4/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to plumb the d/s tank back to the stock oil pump and allow that to feed the engine. Jon Ison drew a sketch in that Dry Sump thread and I'm going to follow that method. Then when I've run a set of mains or seized the crank I'm going to sue Jon for a new engine.

Basically it'll be a single scavenge, inbuilt pump system. My guess is that because the Pinto uses a spray bar to oil the cam it has a fairly large oil pump as standard, which means it ought to keep up with the demands of my 4AGE pump, especially if driven at full crank speed. I can always extend the housing with a second stage and another set of gears - this oil pump cost 99p off eBay.

Eddy

MikeR

posted on 23/4/06 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, think that will work then. I thought you where saying first of all that you would only have one pump in the whole system.
Jeffers_S13

posted on 29/6/07 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Any news/updates on this ?
obr_technology

posted on 2/1/14 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I was wondering if you completed this pump? The idea seems very good and I'm doing something similar myself but using a 2nd hand dry sump pump from a single seater.

I hope you got it running!

Cheers

Olly

clairetoo

posted on 2/1/14 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Since he was last on-line on 26/5/08 I'm thinking you aint gonna get an instant reply........

I read a lot on making a dry sump system a few years ago , the main thing I remember is that the scavenge pump has to at least double the capacity of the pressure pump as it will spend a lot of time pumping an oil / air mixture , which then needs to be sorted in the tank .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

obr_technology

posted on 2/1/14 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah think you might be right there, not really expecting a reply.

Yes I've read similar about scavenge stage size and having now stripped the dry sump pump I have the scavenge is just two of the same as the pressure stage.

Cheers

Olly

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.