Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Solid Mounted V6?

posted on 1/9/14 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Solid Mounted V6?

Bit of a long shot perhaps but i'm toying with the idea of having the engine bolted to the gearbox through a large aluminium plate fixed to the chassis to make a structural member out of it.
will allow solid mounting to/of the gearbox too
It's an Audi twin turbo V6, mid engine
very very similar to this (okay it's the amazing project that got me thinking about it)

car will be for 90% road, track days, possibly hillclimb.

thoughts?

beaver34

posted on 1/9/14 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Have you been in a car that has a solid mounted engine? As I road car not a chance I would want it
mark chandler

posted on 1/9/14 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Seen this done on a few cars at the FOS, nice and neat solution.
MikeRJ

posted on 1/9/14 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Solid mounting a car engine is great, if you enjoy your teeth and eyeballs itching with vibration and parts of the chassis cracking.
Canada EH!

posted on 2/9/14 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
That is the way Can Am car engines were mounted, magnesium plates mounted to front of the block using the water pump mounts and the bell housing mounts at the rear. The McLaren Formula A's used a similar system. I hope the V6 has a 60 degree V to help minimize vibration.
mcerd1

posted on 2/9/14 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
for a race car its a brilliant idea - but not so much for a road car....

-

BaileyPerformance

posted on 2/9/14 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
We've tuned loads of Autograss cars, engines all solid mounted. 4,6,8 cylinder - shake your fillings out on the dyno!!
Not a good idea for road use.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 2/9/14 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
the v6 is 90 degree actually, it's silly wide.
appreciate all the replies, and were as i expected really, not ideal for road sadly.
it just makes for a wonderfully simple rear end chassis design

BaileyPerformance

posted on 2/9/14 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
what engine are you using?

can we offer our services? we tune all sorts.

www.facebook.com/baileyperformance

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 2/9/14 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing to stop you using the plates as the major rear chassis members and soft mounting to them.

posted on 2/9/14 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
audi 2.7 bi-turbo.
have an ECU for it, but that's about it. I'm hoping to find someone/somewhere that can remove the un-necessary emmissions/sensoring off it, or I'll have to go standalone. there is another VW caddy with this engine mid mounted, using an Emerald ECU. So the answer is, I'm not sure, can you?
target will be approx 400hp, or 2kg/hp. Internals are good for ~550 crank hp.

I did wonder about that, using the plates but soft mounting. think that loses the advantages of it really. best to stick to tubes. Ally and it's fatigue worries me a bit, although I'm warming to making the uprights from ally

coyoteboy

posted on 3/9/14 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be going with CNC'd alu uprights so we'll both be in the same boat

The stiffness you could gain with plates like that is pretty vast (plus the nice mounting points) but it would take some analysis and a very expensive bit of cutting!

Fred W B

posted on 3/9/14 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't need to be that expensive, I had this cut on a CNC router owned by a sign shop. I just put the chamfer on the twiddly bit at the starter by hand with a file.

[Edited on 3/9/14 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

coyoteboy

posted on 4/9/14 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
That's impressive with a flimsy gantry router, but you can tell in the finish on the machined ring that it wasn't that happy doing it!

I've considered it as a possibility for mine but we'll see how the hard points turn out before making that decision.

posted on 4/9/14 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a design engineer in a moderate engineering company, could get CNC machining & turning done if i ask nicely!
Main slab would be water jet cut. cheap, no, but worthwhile

I once tried measuring up the hole pattern on the back of an engine, took measurements to and from every hole an the accuracy was shocking, gave up on it! was attempting to rotate an engine into the vertical position. ditched that, and the whole chassis

mcerd1

posted on 5/9/14 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 43655
I once tried measuring up the hole pattern on the back of an engine, took measurements to and from every hole an the accuracy was shocking, gave up on it!

how did you measure the holes ?

to do that sort of measuring accurately you really need a surface table or similar to get a good reference

-

posted on 6/9/14 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Was using long vernier calipers. admittedly if i really had to do it, I'd do a less half-arsed effort and do that, probably make spigots to measure from etc

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.