Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin top tyres in large sizes... high performance or average?
coyoteboy

posted on 17/3/16 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Tin top tyres in large sizes... high performance or average?

So I was just about to replace the front two cheap tyres 245/40/19, as they were on their last legs when I managed to find something sharp on the motorway and took out a rear (275/35/19, delinte something or other) so I'm now stuck making the decision between a set of pilot super sports (£1k for the full set) or dropping something average on for nearer 500. I've been driving on plastic Asda tyres for a year and it's bloody good fun because it's constantly sideways with the slightest hint of throttle. Problem is I'm torn, a) I'm usually an advocate of the best rubber possible for safety (250 quid a tyre) and b) I like slippyness, (70 quid a tyre) c) I feel an average would be sensible but it's still 2/3 the price of the mpss.

Thoughts?

Can't get R888s in that size I don't think and I'd kill them with cycles on a daily.

carpmart

posted on 17/3/16 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are in my experience, wonderful tyres.... They certainly enable me to deliver 600hp to the tarmac in my 2WD daily driver very effectively.... They wear very well, proportionate to the grip they give, they are relatively quiet, they are OK for grip in the wet.

I run 265 front and 295 rears on 20 inch rims and pay 850 GBP per set, so I would suggest you shop around a little... That price was without fitting..

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

mark chandler

posted on 18/3/16 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Pilot cup 2 sports for me, they are fantastic although look half worn from the factory.

You need to work the suppliers, mine 245/40/18 started at £275 a corner which I managed to beat down to £165 delivered then got the locals to fit and balance.

nick205

posted on 18/3/16 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Not that big, but I've run Pilot Sport 1 tyres on my tin tops for a while and have to say they're good tyres wet or dry and last well too.

40inches

posted on 18/3/16 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Pilot Sport 3 at £150 delivered from My Tyres
This is my go to tyre provider, delivered from Germany within 2 days for free.

Matt21

posted on 19/3/16 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I ran numerous different tyres on my E46 and the best I found were Nokian Z-lines

£116 each for your fronts (plus fitting)

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/nokian-zline-245-40-r19-98-y-xl#107760472

I cant find them in 275/40/19, closest is 255/40/19, £120 each

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/summer/t=2/car,4x4/p=1/nokian/r=1/255-40-r19

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nokian/zLine.htm

phelpsa

posted on 19/3/16 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I get a good deal on Pirelli P-Zeros and they seem pretty good. Better in the dry than Pilot Sport 3s, similar in the wet but a bit noisier.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carpmart

posted on 19/3/16 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
I get a good deal on Pirelli P-Zeros and they seem pretty good. Better in the dry than Pilot Sport 3s, similar in the wet but a bit noisier.

in the large sizes on high performance cars, my experience is that they are nowhere near as good a tyres as MPSS

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

phelpsa

posted on 19/3/16 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

in the large sizes on high performance cars, my experience is that they are nowhere near as good a tyres as MPSS

I think the supersports are a price range up? I pay about £90 a tyre fitted for 235/40 R18 P-Zeros, the super sports are about £160 IIRC.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 21/3/16 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks, some good pointers and eventually I've found MPSS for 185 each which seems reasonable (he winced). Local wheel powdercoater should be careful enough with the wheels but might be annoyed at the goo the recovery guy forced me to try!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.