Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec heads.
Dusty

posted on 10/7/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec heads.

Does anyone know if the 2L zetec phase 1/2 head will go on a phase 3 engine. Does it fit and will the hydraulic lifters work. I want to clean up the phase three head, fit 285 cams and bits but I don't want to be off the road for long. I did read somewhere that the blacktop has slightly bigger valves as standard but can't find the reference.
muzchap

posted on 10/7/06 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also interested in this - so hoping somebody can confirm (and quickly - hint hint )

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

stevebubs

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
apparently not....sure it's been covered here before...

[Edited on 10/7/06 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think some "minor" changes were made to the phase 3 engine which included slighly respacing the cylinders to give more meat between 2&3.
garage19

posted on 11/7/06 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
I think some "minor" changes were made to the phase 3 engine which included slighly respacing the cylinders to give more meat between 2&3.

Wrong!

I have a early bottom end (should be hydraulic head) running a later bucket over shim head with no problems!

The cambelt tensioner mounts in a different way but it is very easy to engineer a solution.

[Edited on 11/7/06 by garage19]

muzchap

posted on 11/7/06 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Garage19 - do you have any pics of that mate

Very interested to see the engineering solution

Also can anyone confirm that the Phase3 head has bigger valves and would be a better option to CAM than the original head?

[Edited on 11/7/06 by muzchap]

If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

02GF74

posted on 11/7/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garage19

Wrong!

I have a early bottom end (should be hydraulic head) running a later bucket over shim head with no problems!

The cambelt tensioner mounts in a different way but it is very easy to engineer a solution.

I asked Burton Power as to whether the later heads (solid lifter = black top) could be slapped onto the earlier block (hydralic lifeter = silver top); replies as follows:

" the heads are not interchangable as they both have different chambers."

and when I queried what difference the chamber shape makes since if they are in the same poistion is shouldn't matter,was told:

"the early zetec uses a different lenght rod and piston combination."

??????

muzchap

posted on 11/7/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm - that's strange :-(

Who do we now believe then - seems strange that Burton changed their minds halfway through.

I might just grab one out of the scrapyard and try myself.

Garage19 - although you have got them to fit, have you fired it up? I'm guessing you would have turned the crank to check there was no banging etc.

I'm inclined to go with Garage19 on this one - especially if his is up and running!

garage19

posted on 12/7/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Right, from memory the black top head has 1mm larger valves on the inlet.

The rod length is different on the black top but this is compensated by having a shorter compression height on the piston so the crown of the piston sits in the same place in relation to the block deck.

They are interchangable. I will post up some pics later on showing the engine during its build.

Dusty

posted on 16/7/06 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Getting confusing. Blacktop head on silvertop bottom end OK. Silvertop head on blacktop bottom end don't know.
This now seems to be less important as I have further info on cams and it seems the blacktop gets very expensive very quickly. New post added, 'Zetec and piper cams.'

muzchap

posted on 16/7/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
But the blacktop is solid lifters - imperative if you want to rev hard!

Dusty

posted on 17/7/06 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
Just have to set the rev limiter at 7500 and live with it.
I believe the blacktop is a better engine but I don't want to spend an extra £500 and get less power. If I wanted to go above 200bhp then I would stick with the blacktop and spend the money.

muzchap

posted on 17/7/06 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I got a SilverTop making 155hp @ 6300.

I'll cam it and do some headwork next year and try to get it close to 200hp.

To be honest - that's quick enough in a Seven type car - mine feels scarily quick at the moment :-)

Dusty

posted on 17/7/06 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at the silvertop head I have just stripped there are obvious power gains to be had with a little reaming of the throats and the shortside turn. Pic in archive as the post picture box is still not appearing.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.