Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap Pinto Tuning??
gwmckay

posted on 22/6/03 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap Pinto Tuning??

Hi,

In the next few months Ill be ready to stick in my 2.0 Pinto EFI, just wondered if anyone could suggest any (budget) tuning I can perform before I bung the engine in. Can I expect much from a lightened flywheel? and how light can I go without risking my feet being amputated!!?

GW

simontiger

posted on 22/6/03 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
How cheap do you mean

You Could fit a fast road cam kit
or a pair of 40 side drafts with a ported head or 2600 for a race built lump

It depend on how fast you want to go

Simon

ned

posted on 23/6/03 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
a lightweight flywheel will allow the engine to accelerate quicker but won't generate any extra power.

as far as cost, how longs a piece of string.

start with some decent carbs, 40's or 45's as suggested above.

for significant gains engine internals would be the avenue for a proper job.

(all IMHO)

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 23/6/03 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
1600 flywheel is lighter and fits. I didn't do it cos I didn't find out soon enough. Dave Andrews has a section on head porting if you want to have a go.

yours,

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

chrisg

posted on 23/6/03 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Try this:

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pinto.htm

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

macspeedy

posted on 23/6/03 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
pinto tuning

Pinto

Pinto injection heads have a slightly different port shape that flows better than a standard head, this head is commonly fitted by stock car racers they are heavily restricted to what porting they can do. the main area that is workable (worth while working)is quater of an inch either side of the valve seat, I would recommend balancing the bottom end of your engine, there is no point of buying or working a head when the other half is'nt in "tune", also gives you a chance to make sure crank and conrods are not bent! . Also buy one of the many books available an easier read is How to power tune Ford SOHC by Des Hammil. Without spending silly money you could get 140 bhp a slightly wild cam would be a good option, as no doubt the one you got out your doner is sh****d and the spray bar will be full of crud! one last thing there i have heard there is a cut of point for which pair of carbs to go for 40's 45's around the 140 150bhp mark. A coil pack with electronic ignition will help to keep things running smooth, as you may have to get the disy weights looked at, look out for Classic ford mags as there are plenty of articles on tuned pintos and spares for sale!! good luck with your build.

MikeRJ

posted on 26/6/03 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
a lightweight flywheel will allow the engine to accelerate quicker but won't generate any extra power.

Under steady state conditions you are correct, it won't generate any more power. Under acceleration you do get more power to the rear wheels. This will be shown by a run on an interia type rolling road. The gains are largest in lower gears.

However, I'd be very wary of lightening the standard cast flywheel unless having you legs removed appeals greatly.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 22/1/04 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
hi, I've got a couple of questions about using a 1600 flywheel:

can you just use a 1600 'box? i've got one all cleaned up but then decided to change the engine to a 2.0i and was going to swap the box at the same time. by the sound of this i would be better off fitting the 1600 box to the 2.0 engine, is this right?

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 22/1/04 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
we weighed several 1600/2000 flywheels they were all about the same,1600 clutch is smaller therfore lighter

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

scoobyis2cool

posted on 22/1/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Will it be ok to transmit the power from a 2.0i? it won't wear too fast or anything will it?

Pete

greggors84

posted on 22/1/04 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
The box should be the same whatever pinto its from.
scoobyis2cool

posted on 22/1/04 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
thats what i thought but apparently the 1.8 and 2.0 have a larger clutches (i checked this in the haynes manual and they do). i just wasnt sure if the 1.6 clutch could transmit the power ok from a 2L engine?

anyone else know?

Pete

theconrodkid

posted on 22/1/04 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
as your car now is less than half the weight of a seirra and millage will be a lot less it should cope no problemo

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Graceland

posted on 22/1/04 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
A good book on Pinto tuning.....

How to modify Ford SOHC Engines

by David Vizard

ISBN - 0 86343 0856

have had this book for a few years meself - very informative

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.