Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap Race Wear?
blackie

posted on 9/1/03 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap Race Wear?

Can anyone tell me the best place to buy your helmet/suit etc for racing? I dont know how much I should be paying really, but Tweeks look a bit pricey, even with the 10% discount (about 500 snotters for the full race outfit)

Any advice would really help.

Cheers,

Blackmeister

Rick

posted on 12/1/03 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thats cheep believe me unless you buy second hand.
Welcome to the world of racing

hope you don't have a girlfriend or wife!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blackie

posted on 12/1/03 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just got in from Autosport - ended up paying £550 with a 15% discount!

Not too bad then, I keep telling myself but the wallet has taken a nasty beating that it may not recover from

The good lady has been great, but as she tells me, this could change at short notice

Better keep hiding the bank statements then

Blackie

Fast Westie

posted on 27/3/03 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I got my suit and boots from AWRS in Ashford, about £100 cheaper than Demon Thieves. Helmet from Rally Design

The car in front is a Westfield

JohnFol

posted on 27/3/03 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
also try
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk

D Beddows

posted on 27/3/03 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
and don't forget a neck brace..... 30 quid very well spent imho after having watched someone die in a 7 at Mallory last year - I even went so far afterwards as to buy Brett one with my own money

Motorsport IS dangerous (as well as huge fun) and you CAN die, I've seen it happen a few times now so, although I know none of you would, don't skimp on safety equipment

Oh, and even if it feels uncomfortable make sure your harness is as tight as possible

Cheers

Dave (engineer/builder of Locost 41)

Viper

posted on 27/3/03 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Do yourself a favour, don't scrimp on protective wear, buy the best you can afford, if (god forbid ) anything should go wrong you will realise its money well spent, trust me i have been there.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carnut

posted on 28/3/03 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a cheep helmet for a cheep head otherwise if you value yourself in any way at all buy the best you can reasonably afford.
dalefaulkner

posted on 31/3/03 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
One place where I found cheap racewear was 'www.racewear.co.uk'. Be aware of buying second hand helmets as these cannot be more than about 4 years old and they must meet the stringent criteria of the racing regulations. Also when buying a helmet it is worth knowing that if the visor apperture is shallow for car racing use it is not legal for road use on a motorbike. I hope that is of some help to someone.
eddymcclements

posted on 4/4/03 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at Road and Stage Motorsport http://www.rsmmotorsport.co.uk - the web site isn't great, but they always have special offers and the couple who run the place are very nice, helpful folk, and dedicated racers.

Cheers,

Eddy

racingdick

posted on 4/4/03 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
you try knocking on a few local motor shops and seeing if they would knock a few quid off, in return for a sticker on the car...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.