Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Racing
dalefaulkner

posted on 18/3/03 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Racing

Hi, im not new to locosts as I started building mine just after square wheels was phased out around 5 years ago, as usual the project rocketed ahead before work loads got on top of me and spare time dissapeared. I have built most of my locost to the original design and cant begin to see the end, to rekindle the flame that I once had I have decided to race it, unfortunatley the engine that I have is a 1600 xflow a nice engine that I have cleaned up nicely, I know that this must be replaced with a 1300 gt unit which isnt very powerful (but thats life).

To race it am I correct in thinking that it doesnt require an mot/ sva or tax please advise me as I know that it must be capable of passing an mot.

when does the race season start as I want to give myself a deadline to get everything ready and is there going to be any problems with me getting into the races I know that I must get a licence.

JohnFol

posted on 18/3/03 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum.

There are several peple on the forum who already race, and a few budding builders who aspire to race. There are several formulas you can go for, but based on your comment I presume you are going specifically for the 750mc Locost formula.

The 2003 season has already started, so I guess you are aiming for the beginning of 2004. I would anticipate a start around end Feb / begining March

In their infinite wisdom the 750 use PDF so no-one can cut'n'paste details from it into messages like this. But to quote
"All vehicles must comply with MOT requirements, be of sound construction and mechanical condition and be well maintained. There is no requirement for an MOT Certificate, Road Tax or Insurance".

This also means, no need for SVA.

I had aimed to be racing this year, but underestimated the cost getting to the start line. I aim to go for SVA this year to prove to my self the car is safe, and then start racing next year.

What I suggest is get along to a race or 2. Every time I have been I have found the drivers most helpfull, and happy to advise.

Where in the country are you?

Best of luck

dalefaulkner

posted on 18/3/03 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Racing

Thanks John, thats all usefull information, I am living in Southgate north London at the moment although the car itself is at my parents home in the midlands I have just started planning all of my holiday time so as I can complete the project either to race or drive, i feel that there would be a benifit in me just racing as I have no space to store it down here. Its always been an ambition of mine to start racing so I better get on and finish it, hopefully Ill be racing next year with you then, if you go for the 750mc.
JohnFol

posted on 25/3/03 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Are you going to be at Brands haych on the 12th April?
dalefaulkner

posted on 31/3/03 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Brands haych on the 12th April

Yes I plan to be there as Im going to show my girlfriend where all my money and love is going to go.......racing! I went to Donnington for both races and thoroughly enjoyed all of the races, especially all of the locosts, it has made me even more enthusiastic. Lots to do yet though.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.