Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking to get into Locost racing
smartmove

posted on 14/9/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Looking to get into Locost racing

I have been toying with the idea in the last few months of getting into some kind of motorsport. I have a little karting experience and have done a couple of driving "experience" days so really am starting at the back. I originally planned to go the Westfield route but have heard many good things about the 750mb locost series. My plan would be to spend a year or so just doing trackdays and getting my hand in, then the following year try some races. My first question is... If I were to purchase a 2nd hand race spec locost car am I able to use these on trackdays (as it's not strictly speaking a "road" car)? and second... do you think I would be getting out of my depth going in as a true novice in Locost racing (even though I will have a year of trackdays in the car under my belt)?

Thanks.

stevetzoid

posted on 14/9/06 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I have just finished my locost and will be racing at Donnington on sunday, novice cross on the back no problems go for it.
Regards Steve Evans.

nitram38

posted on 14/9/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hope you have plenty of money and time!
Race entries cost and sometimes travel can be a burden. Fancy towing a car from london to edinburgh for 12 hours, do a 15 min race and come home?
Not trying to be negative, just let you know some of the pitfalls.
I virtually broke something every race and spent the evenings for two weeks sorting it out between races.
Relationships can become strained too!

smartmove

posted on 14/9/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Hope you have plenty of money and time!
Race entries cost and sometimes travel can be a burden. Fancy towing a car from london to edinburgh for 12 hours, do a 15 min race and come home?
Not trying to be negative, just let you know some of the pitfalls.
I virtually broke something every race and spent the evenings for two weeks sorting it out between races.
Relationships can become strained too!

Yes, take your point on travelling the distances but I think initially I would just compete in some of the rounds, just pick the tracks that are nearer to me. I dont mind travelling 2 or 3 hours for a good day out. I am also considering building the car from the MK kit etc.. I might still purchase a used race car and learn about how it goes together and is setup and then build a new one.

procomp

posted on 15/9/06 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi yes you are able to run a race spec locost on trackdays as that is were most of the cheaper testing is done and they are suprisingly quick on a trackay.

Are you coming to donnington this weekend as it is the last round of the locost championship as well as the kitcar show.

Becareful about the westfield championship as it is on its last legs and reguarly has less than 15 drivers enterd and no sign of getting any better witch is why the BARC have just dumped it unfortunatly i dont think that i am allowed to say where it will be running next year as it is not supposed to be information available even to the drivers yet .

If you want to talk to a number of the drivers online try the yahoo site i will try and find the link. As that is the best place to get more accurate info on the championship as some other sites do give verry wrong and costly info out .

There are currently 4 cars up for sale at the moment 2 of which will be at donnington one on the stand No34 and one doing the track day on saturday No 2 red and black car just ask for brendan or moriss or the dudlys .

On one of the two racing forums on here i have given a verry realistic costing for a running season including all entry fees and tow car petrol.

cheers matt

Ps I am always happy to answer any questions about the championship.
You can u2u me on here or email ivan@procomp.plus.com or even use that thing with the the wire coming out of it on 0121-350-3258

PPs where in the country are you as there are locost racers from Somerset all the way up to Aberdeen so you may have somebody local.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 15/9/06 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi just re read your first post regarding being a novice. I would think that at least half the grid are novices compeating as thier first steps in to motorsport and this is a good point to start from. You will learn an awful lot in your first year of locost racing.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 21/9/06 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Matt

Any chance you could point me in the right direction for your budgets for a years racing?

quote:

On one of the two racing forums on here i have given a verry realistic costing for a running season including all entry fees and tow car petrol.

Cheers

Mike

Rob Palin

posted on 21/9/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Not that i want to tread on Matt's toes but i'd offer the following figures for costs once you've got your car, trailer & safety gear:

(1) To learn loads and have a lot of fun:- £2k/year

(2) To tart about in the mid-field, get knocked about a bit and generally not enjoy it half as much as you did in (1):-£2.5-3k

(3) To battle for places in the top 10 and be in a position where you actually care about how many championship points you are totting up:- £3-3.5k

(4) To actually win the championship:- priceless.

Sorry for the cheesey ending. :p

Rob

Guinness

posted on 21/9/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
LOL

Thanks Rob!

Mike

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.