Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Racing Helmet Help - Snell sticker
TimC

posted on 1/12/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Racing Helmet Help - Snell sticker

Hi folks
I'm currently looking at a helmet which is a U.S. equivalent of the Bell Sport 4 (Bell is apparently Zamp in the U.S.) helmet. Everything points to the fact that its Snell 2005 accredited which is great, but it's only marked with FIA 8858 which is the FIA's Hans-ready standard. What's the deal with the Snell Sticker - should one come with the helmet or do I have to get it from a scrute?

Cheers

RK

posted on 1/12/07 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bell and Zamp are sold in the US; one does not replace the other, although they could be made in the same factory. As far as I know (and I am not an expert), the Snell sticker itself has nothing to do with a scrutineer. The helmet is either approved for certain activities or it's not, and a scrutineer will check for its presence at the event.

You have your European standards and approval stickers on helmets, the US has theirs.

bjw970s

posted on 2/12/07 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

The only sticker a scrut puts on is an 'MSA' one. I haven't got a 2008 blue book yet so I couldn't say what helmet standards are approved, but mine is a SNELL2005 which is still valid.

You would need to get hold of a blue book to be sure before buying. If you want to get a cheap helmet in the UK try the show next weekend or AUTSPORt in Jan as they do do offers.

Brian

As someone else once said 'LOCOST my Ar**

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 2/12/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers

I can't make Autosport this year as I've got exams in the same week - fiirst one in 4 that I'll have missed. I did look around last year and none of the helmets were as cheap as the US route - providing that they can supply a SA2005 sticker for a helmet which IS on the list.

I'm sure SA2005 has a few seasons in it left since there isn't a higher Snell standard at this stage and SA2000 was valid for '07 too.

TC

Spot the difference:
Bell Vs Zamp
Bell Vs Zamp

[Edited on 2/12/07 by TimC]

simes43

posted on 2/12/07 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
If you are going to the trouble of importing a helmet from the US, have a look at the Aria GP5. Better quality than the Bell and they are Euro spec Snell.

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/helmet/arai.asp

I imported mine last year and also avoided the latest con contrived by DT and GPR. The HANS post locating charge.

TimC

posted on 2/12/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simes43
If you are going to the trouble of importing a helmet from the US, have a look at the Aria GP5. Better quality than the Bell and they are Euro spec Snell.

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/helmet/arai.asp

I imported mine last year and also avoided the latest con contrived by DT and GPR. The HANS post locating charge.

Err - Less than £180 plays more than £450. I'd expect the Arai to be better!

simes43

posted on 2/12/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
When your Bell visor pivot continues to revolve round and round without coming off............

There is a huge difference in quality between the two. I looked at Bell before deciding on the Aria. The Bell just feels as if it could come a part in your hand when compared to the Aria

Make sure if you go the Bell route that the helmet model is available in the UK.

You can then use DT or GPR if it fails. A friends just has.

TimC

posted on 3/12/07 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
In case anyone alse is interested, I'm now looking at a SA2005 helmet for about £145.

It won't be Arai quality, but is obviously of sufficient standard to pass the tests - ideal if money's too tight to mention!

U2U me if interested.

TC

bjw970s

posted on 30/12/07 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simes43
When your Bell visor pivot continues to revolve round and round without coming off............

There is a huge difference in quality between the two. I looked at Bell before deciding on the Aria. The Bell just feels as if it could come a part in your hand when compared to the Aria

Make sure if you go the Bell route that the helmet model is available in the UK.

You can then use DT or GPR if it fails. A friends just has.

I have used Bell Sport for the last 6 years over 2 helmets and never had a problem. I will be using it open cockpit this year so we will see whether that makes a difference.

145 quid sounds pretty good if, you can get the appropriate certification.

[Edited on 30/12/07 by bjw970s]

As someone else once said 'LOCOST my Ar**

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 30/12/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted, arrived, everything - £154 delivered included a protective carrying bag.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.