Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: So, how was Stoneleigh?
Mark H

posted on 4/5/03 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
So, how was Stoneleigh?

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

chrisg

posted on 4/5/03 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'll tell you Monday night!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/5/03 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
what a bummer!!!!

I got stuck in traffic 2 miles from Stoneleigh with 40 mins to go before 11am meeet at mk stand. Seemed to be no real reason for hold up, but end result was due to 1hr 10 min jam, by the time I had got there and found the MK stand it was near noon. mad::

Its not easy meeting up with people when you dont know what they look like - and you are an hr late.

Im hoping for better luck at the midlands meeting at the ansty arms on Wednesday. I think I'll start out now

[Edited on 4/5/03 by stephen_gusterson] Rescued attachment 1.jpg
Rescued attachment 1.jpg

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/5/03 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
btw -

this is the look im after for my car - these are GCS Hawkes, now sold by Tiger (supposedly - they dont really push them).

atb

steve Rescued attachment 2.jpg
Rescued attachment 2.jpg

David Jenkins

posted on 4/5/03 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
I got stuck in traffic 2 miles from Stoneleigh with 40 mins to go before 11am meeet at mk stand.

I was wondering where you'd got to, Steve!

After a restless night I'd got up early and started off to Stoneleigh before 07:00 - arrived just before 09:30 opening time. That's a very good time to buy the bits & pieces, before the crowds arrive!

There were loads of very nicely turned-out cars, Lotus/Caterham had a VERY good turn-out for their anniversary (several hundred cars, I reckon).

Tons of other good cars, some excellent displays by the manufacturers (including Luego and MK, but didn't notice Stuart Turner there - maybe I missed them). Couple of notable items, including a Hawk Cars italian replica of something or other, immaculately turned out in a gorgeous deep metallic red.

There seemed to be a lack of the minor trade stands - you know, the ones who sell bits of radiator hose, etc.

I went home knackered early afternoon - you have to walk miles at Stoneleigh, it was hot, and the crowds were getting too dense for me.

Still had a good day though (and spent a fortune...). Oh - and met a number of the usual suspects (bob, hicost, steve m, et. al.) - good to see you!

David

Dave Ashurst

posted on 4/5/03 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I enjoyed my brief visit to the show too. Yes, I found it light on autojumble and bits and bobs.

I spent a while staring at total strangers who might look like you Steve . It was good to briefly meet bob, Kingr and paulf and family at the MK stand after I found it at 11:10 plus Ray Hudson when I arrived at the Locost parking area at 9:15 then Ben Marriott and Martin there before I left around 12.

Apart from an engine bay fire on the way home an otherwise uneventful day

May I recommend AA recovery, and also the bar staff at the Stag's Head who were very handy with the fire extinguisher. (unusually I'd left mine on the work bench at home)

See some of you at Ansty on Wed.

worse things happen

yours
Dave

[Edited on 5/5/03 by Dave Ashurst]

Glenn

posted on 4/5/03 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Pukka

well im back home after a long drive )
but it was worth it, what a great day. The weather was smashing and LOADS to see.

I hope the weather hold out for all you guys going tommrow, have fun and enjoy the cars.

BTW, travel light, it's a real squeeze when moving through the auto-jumble.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greasy nipples

posted on 4/5/03 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
huge

The show was very big again!
I was unable to stay long but managed to get around everything.
One thing i missed was Midland performance centre. Did anyone spot them? I wanted to look at and talk about thier spencer ashley throttle body conversion for the Zetec. It gives over 200 BHP with lots of torque mmmmmmm!

Glenn

posted on 4/5/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
oh, somthing to look out for is Dick Spanners westfield on the Avo stand, this is IMO the best built car at the show.

Vauxhall XE engine, not a wire to see, carbon fiber under-tray, just superb. take a look.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/5/03 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Me again!

Sorry Dave that it didnt work out for me - I also spent time hanging around on two occasions trying to see if I could recognise anyone from their avatar or the pic you mailed a week ago. No one was staring back at me, so after 15 minutes, and a later 5 minutes, and deciding that the lights I really wanted for my car were way too much money for what I intended to spend on the day (with a big bill for brands hatch tomorrow coming up) I bailed out.

What was interesting was that the traffic jam I got stuck in was 70% seven replicas, or marlins.

Sorry about your fire - hope it was sorted with minimal damage. Will have to make sure I put an extinguisher in my car when its done.

I still cant believe how people are supposed to get their backsides in a caterham - the chassis on their stand looked like a shoehorn fit!

Also, the RH 2B didnt look as lardy as people say it does.

I agree that there were not as many places selling bric a brak as last year. A notable crap bargain was one stand selling single imperial 3/8 bolts about 3 ins long a fiver each! on the other hand there was one selling clio rads that look right for a locost new at 20 quid.

Sorry David that I didnt get to meet you.

I have never been to Newark yet, so I will make a special effort to get my butt up there and have another go at meeting!

For all attending the meet at Ansty arms on Weds, Im gonna make a special effort at getting there!

atb

steve

and yeah - it was a big show - a bit too many people to browse properly, and the signing is so crap. You have to hunt to find the halls with the exhibitors in.

[Edited on 4/5/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Rob Lane

posted on 4/5/03 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Actually not as much to see as previous shows. A distinct lack of component sellers.
The third hall was empty save a slot racer stand and the Westfield Club using it as an indoor meet. It usually has a split with half at least component sellers.

Anyone who takes the A45 turn off then heads down dual carriageway to first turn off always gets caught in a huge queue.
Secret is to head further to next junction past, signed Kenilworth and then approach that way, no stops just straight in.

Spyderman

posted on 4/5/03 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Actually not as much to see as previous shows. A distinct lack of component sellers.
The third hall was empty save a slot racer stand and the Westfield Club using it as an indoor meet. It usually has a split with half at least component sellers.

Anyone who takes the A45 turn off then heads down dual carriageway to first turn off always gets caught in a huge queue.
Secret is to head further to next junction past, signed Kenilworth and then approach that way, no stops just straight in.

Agree with component stalls lack there of.
Directions also, but if you know your way there then don't follow the directions and go the usual route. Will avoid the queues.

I noticed that the bargain stalls are becoming less of a bargain as well. Every stall has the same items for the same price (fixing me thinks)!
Some very nice items for sale, but very little marked as being SVA friendly.

Outside the club stands were great. Obviously the good weather bringing them out.
After seeing all those cars it has given me fresh motivation to get some work done on my lifetime project!

For those going tomorrow I hope the weather is as good for you!

Terry

Sorry I couldn't get there in time to meet up with you all! Maybe next time.

Spyderman

gjn200

posted on 5/5/03 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Lost all track of time and missed everybody ay Mk was about 12 when i was there as well. Not a good day for me, anybody see a parked up renault safrane (purple) on the a46 just b4 the m6? Well that was me, auto gear box had no drive at all gonna cost ££££££ might have to scrap the car.

<- Me!

chrisg

posted on 5/5/03 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mark H, it's monday night, here goes!

Lots of new cars, some bargains, friendly blokes off here (thanks for the coil Bob) a fudge stall(surprise, surprise) sunshine, expensive burgers and lager, too many Robin hoods, not enough Locosts, aching feet, brilliant drive home in Steve Faunch's blade powered beauty

Thats about it

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

LoCostLancs

posted on 5/5/03 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Went Sunday

After first stating i'd go on Monday i went yesterday!!
Got what I needed, wings, tank and some other interesting bits a bobs, let down the whole show was the lack of component sellers, I could of spent a fortune but no one selling what I need! Anyway till nextyear ill have to meet you all elsewhere

Viper

posted on 5/5/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree about the price per portion of food, bouncy castle was good though, credit card took a major spanking, got me horney rear lights chuffed...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/5/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
[quote

Now you tell me!

I dont remember that problem last year.....but it wont happen in 2004.

atb

steve

MK9R

posted on 5/5/03 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Arrived sunday night at 7.40 and was told we couldn't come in after 7.30 by a jobs worth secyrity guard!!

We managed to blag our way in without the car pretending that someone we were meeting had out tickets, walked around for over an hour looking for people who we had only met once at Stafford, found now one, and came home!!

Travelled down again this morning and had a good day, spent loads of cash, lost track of time and didn't get to MK stand untill about 12.30.

[Edited on 5/5/03 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Dick Axtell

posted on 5/5/03 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Compared with some previous Stoneleigh shows, this one seemed distinctly lo-key. Less manufacturers, & some of those who were there had put minimal effort into their stands. Perhaps this is one of the effects of the Gulf conflict fall-out.
Stuart Taylor was there; I walked past twice before I realised who was exhibiting.
How about the MK guys in their "team" shirts??

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

givemethebighammer

posted on 5/5/03 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
MK stand at noon I must have missed you !!

Stephen,
I stood talking to Dick for about 25 mins from 12 noon at the MK stand, you probably walked right past us !!!. Maybe t-shirts are the answer ??

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/5/03 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by givemethebighammer
Stephen,
I stood talking to Dick for about 25 mins from 12 noon at the MK stand, you probably walked right past us !!!. Maybe t-shirts are the answer ??

Very Likely!

I was standing from the aspect of where the piccky of the stand was taken.

There was no shortage of pairs of guy's talking to each other......in fact the MK stand was really busy all the time I was there. It wasnt really on to ask everyone if they were from locostbuilders.

Perhaps next time exchanging a few mobile phone numbers might help!

atb

steve

steve m

posted on 5/5/03 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well
I enjoyed the weekend
I got exactley what I wanted, some hood material and fasteners at a good price
the locost parking area was in coventry, so I got some very good excerise, and well needed after "the Chefs" (Paul and Bob) force fed me for two days washed down with numerous beers
only down side was saturday night "i was bloody freezing" I took the summer sleeping bag, big mistake
good to see all those happy locoster's
shame that i have not seen any "new" cars since Newark last year

Rob Lane

posted on 6/5/03 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
The problems with the stands is money!

It costs an awful lot for manufacturers stand space. I know many do not recoup their outlay at show.

Martin was telling me that the component sellers pay less, so really there should be more there.

My son has just started out selling custom bits for the Max Power types and it is costing quite a bit to get setup for shows.

There was one of his type of stand in the Lolocost hall and it was doing a roaring trade in LED lights etc. So much so my son wished he had stood a pitch! Maybe next year.

My son does alloy wheels and tyre packages if anyones interested? Has all the good brands, Wolfrace, Team Dynamics etc.
(Blatant plug)

Rob Lane

James

posted on 9/5/03 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The problems with the stands is money!

It costs an awful lot for manufacturers stand space. I know many do not recoup their outlay at show.

Martin was telling me that the component sellers pay less, so really there should be more there.

My son has just started out selling custom bits for the Max Power types and it is costing quite a bit to get setup for shows.

There was one of his type of stand in the Lolocost hall and it was doing a roaring trade in LED lights etc. So much so my son wished he had stood a pitch! Maybe next year.

My son does alloy wheels and tyre packages if anyones interested? Has all the good brands, Wolfrace, Team Dynamics etc.
(Blatant plug)

Rob Lane

His biggest problem is lack of advertising!

ie. hint, hint what's the name/web address!

Cheers,

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.