Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Valves shimming
BenB

posted on 24/6/10 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Valves shimming

I've just noticed that my Pan engine is getting a little tappety on the offside bank. Nothing major, just a very soft noise on idle. I only noticed because I was comparing something on the sides of the engine and just happened to have the engine running and as I leant forwards and backwards the difference was apparent.

so I'm thinking about whipping it apart and checking the valve clearances. After all, it is 20 years old this year and I don't know when it was last done

Anyone done this on the BEC engines? Apart from making the tappety noise go away does it actually have any benefit? Extra ponies?!?!?

OX

posted on 24/6/10 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
There maybe a slight tick but i bet the valve clearance is still in tolerance ,there better to be on the large side of the scale rather than the small,its when you cant hear any noise that you should worry . ,you may have some tight ones so worth having a check if the larger sized feeler gauge goes in it buts its tight then i wouldn't bother changing ,unless you have to take the cam off to do the other one
BenB

posted on 24/6/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sweet. Will have a fiddle with some feeler gauges and see what's what. I suspect I'm worrying about nothing.... Cheers
matt_gsxr

posted on 25/6/10 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Valve shims only need checking every 16k miles on Pan European. This is quite a lot of miles compared to most bikes.

Extra spacing on the valves results in loss of power (valve closed for longer), and more cam wear (cam hits valve more abruptly).

The pain is getting replacement shims as you have to leave the engine "open" while they arrive (or pay dealer prices at £5 a shim which adds up fast on a 16v engine).

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.