Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reducing helmet wind noise
Miks15

posted on 4/7/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Reducing helmet wind noise

Im starting a new summer job tomorrow down in peterborough, about 30 miles away from me. And will be making the commute on my motorbike. 99% of the journey is on the A1 and i want to make the journey a bit more comfortable. I have a cheapish helmet atm and cant afford a new one so was wondering if anyone has any tips on reducing wind noise? Its a duchinni d701 if that makes any difference
FFTS

posted on 4/7/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Put it on backwards???

Chris.

gingerprince

posted on 4/7/10 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
Reducing helmet wind noise

Pull your fly up?

Stott

posted on 4/7/10 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
earplugs, not being sarchy either. You'll still hear traffic and horns etc, I always use them on medium/long trips
flibble

posted on 4/7/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
What bike is it? I found that a screen with a 'lip' at the top helped push more air over me when i used to commute on a blade for a bit.
big-vee-twin

posted on 4/7/10 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ear Plugs most bikers use them - stop you getting tinnitus in later life too

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

jambojeef

posted on 4/7/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
ear plugs or wear something like a scarf round the base of the lid and round your neck - any reduction in air passing under the lid makes a big difference to the noise.
Miks15

posted on 4/7/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, im planning on having music in one ear, but will try a plug in the other. Its a triumph tt600, and i am planning on getting a double bubble screen to push the air higher aswell
nige

posted on 4/7/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
you can buy a something that fits on the bottom of your helmet ( ooh er mrs )
cant think of the name stops wind cumming up under your chin , try busters

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

MakeEverything

posted on 4/7/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
Cheers guys, im planning on having music in one ear, but will try a plug in the other. Its a triumph tt600, and i am planning on getting a double bubble screen to push the air higher aswell

Personally, i found that music or phone in one ear affects your balance as well as your concentration.

I have an Arai Condor crash helmet which is very quiet, comfortable and with good ventilation. Id buy another tomorrow if i needed to replace it.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Peteff

posted on 4/7/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
It's a bit hot at the moment but a balaclava or a buff helps keep the noise down as well and keeps your neck warm when it's chilly.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bmseven

posted on 4/7/10 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
It's a bit hot at the moment but a balaclava or a buff helps keep the noise down as well and keeps your neck warm when it's chilly.

Agree on the balaclava the first time I rode my bike without a balaclava I thought there was something up with the engine, I could just hear more
Coupled wit ear plugs and a decent hemlmet (BMW) its almost quiet up to the higher motorway speeds

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Earplugs are the simplest option - cooler than a balaclava or a muff in this weather!

I went into a local bike shop and bought a pair of every brand they had - found a make I liked and stuck with them.

OX

posted on 4/7/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I found with a flip screen on most of the bikes i have ridden that the wind hit my head rather than my chest so it buffeted my head around to much ,if i squatted down a couple of inches it was fine but uncomfortable, if your 6feet or over i'd say stick with the screen you have and get some ear plugs
martylemoo

posted on 4/7/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTRAX-STOPWIND-MOTORCYCLE-DELUXE-HELMET-WIND-SKIRT_W0QQitemZ190411898864QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=dda0980112 60a0e20581a701fe79efa3#ht_3790wt_921
BenB

posted on 4/7/10 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Some nice memory foam plugs for me. As said try a few different types, people's ears vary in size and shape.
Dangle_kt

posted on 4/7/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
i had a wind skirt thing round mine - but it was made of neoprene - it worked ok. During winter you will be fine cos any neck gaiter worth its salt at keeping you warm will also reduce wind noise.

I never ride with music on - you need to be able to hear whats going on too much, but decent plugs help.

Some lids are better than others, a pinlock is great so you can have your lid 100% closed makes a big difference.

Back roads help...cos your so busy grinning the noise doesn't matter.

scutter

posted on 4/7/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
If I'm doing a long journey in the car with a helmet on, then it's ear plugs and bodge tape over the pivot point of the visor.

The tape has about the same effect as wearing ear plugs on my shark helmet, stops the whistling.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.