Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: best type of insulating tape
AndyW

posted on 14/1/12 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
best type of insulating tape

Hi all,

Now I have finished all the wiring, I have to start to fix and route the wires. I have got several small sub harness's which I have had to make and or extend. These are currently held together every 6 inches or so with a small wrap of tape. I want to wrap the whole loom to make it look great and want to know what the locost thoughts are. Do I just use insulating tape, although I think it looks a bit messy. Or self amalgamating tape, or fabric tape, or conduit and tape or,???

What have you guys used and what kind of results have you acheived?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

[Edited on 14/1/12 by AndyW]

t16turbotone

posted on 14/1/12 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.car-vision.co.uk/consumables/12798-wiring-loom-harness-adhesive-cloth-fabric-tape-19mm-x-25-metres-roll-220924463548.html
craig1410

posted on 14/1/12 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
This is what we used to use at Lucas Automotive Electronics to build engine test cell harnesses:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/sleeving/sleeving.php

It makes a really neat, professional job and is easy to handle. Ideally terminate the ends with adhesive lined heat shrink sleeving but you can also melt the ends with a soldering iron and wrap with a small amount of self amalgamating or insulating tape to keep them neat. It costs up to £1 or so a metre but to my mind it is worth it.

Other option is the split convoluted harness wrap but it's not so nice to work with. I would advise against wrapping with tape because it isn't so easy to run another wire should the need arise (and it sometimes does...). If you think that is likely then the split stuff is easiest but you can usually push a new wire down the braided stuff too. You can also easily tap into an existing wire or gain access for testing or whatever in the event of a problem.

I hope this helps,
Craig.

Edit: Just to add - for branches, the braided covering can be terminated around the 'Y' joint but getting a large piece of adhesive heat shrink and placing over the joint. Then heat and use your fingers or pliers to squeeze the heat shrink together inside the top of the 'Y' section. The sleeving will stick to itself with the adhesive and form a nice neat joint.

[Edited on 14/1/2012 by craig1410]

austin man

posted on 14/1/12 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
convoluted trunking taped at the spurs

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

AndyW

posted on 14/1/12 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys...
rusty nuts

posted on 14/1/12 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Split conduit , cheap, neat ,easy to install wiring and remove at any time . Easier than spiral type and available in various sizes
scudderfish

posted on 14/1/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Don't use insulation tape. If you ever have to pick the loom apart, it's a horrible job.
matt_gsxr

posted on 14/1/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Amalgamating tape isn't too bad, but some of the stuff goes a bit gooey if exposed to oil/WD40 etc.

The nylon mesh stuff (as above) is the neatest, but you need to be able to thread over the end (finish with that gluey heat shrink as suggested). With split conduit doesn't need you to get to the ends and is good enough for the OEM's, but (to my mind) doesn't look quite as sexy.

MikeCapon

posted on 14/1/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
All the looms I've made (a few hundred) I've done with loom tape (strangely enough) which is non sticky. Heat shrink or normal insulating tape on the ends. Job done.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.