Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Still having issues with Koso + ZX12 water temperatures
twybrow

posted on 6/9/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Still having issues with Koso + ZX12 water temperatures

I posted a little while ago here about the erratic temperature readings I was getting on my car. A brief summary:

- ZX12 engine with Polo rad, header tank (non-breathing) & Koso gauges - running with no problem since installed March 2012 (water temperature consistently at 68-75 on the cruise, and raising to 90C on a hard run)
- Some time mid-July, I started getting erratic temperature readings (jumping 30+ degrees in a second, then back again, hovering above the upper limit of the gauge etc - although it would then tend to hover around a more realistic value again shortly afterwards)

On the suggestion from the last thread, I changed the sensor to another one I had (it is the same age, but has only ever dangled in free air measuring the outside temperature) - it seems to have reduced the instantaneous jumping, but the number is still al over the place. I may have imagined it, but it seems to increase if I accelerate, and settle out to a normal value if I lift off - although this is by no means certain!

So, what do the collective think could be causing it? Air/steam in the system? Faulty water pump? Dodgy sender (stop being a cheap skate and buy a new one!?)? Wrong level in the header tank? A blockage? Incorrect plumbing?

Any help greatly appreciated as I am really nervous that I am damaging my engine, or risk pouring boiling water everywhere if it is in fact running over temperature.

speedygonzales

posted on 6/9/12 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
My guess is it's a wiring fault - possibly corrosion. Especially since you say it was working fine and then have started to have problems with it. Give the pins / connections a good clean and see if you have any luck.

”Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.” - Oprah Winfrey

twybrow

posted on 6/9/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
But they are connectors on the ends of a premade wire supplied with the gauges - I will double check the connections at each end of the wire just to be sure. I would have thought a wiring fault would give no reading at all, rather than an intermittent reading... But I may well be wrong!
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 6/9/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I had a dodgy earth behind the dash a while back that made the gauges swing round and back and then settle. Got worse over item until I cleaned up the connection on the earth post.
austin man

posted on 6/9/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
brother in law has a similar problem with a gauge not KOSO though his problem turned out to be an air lock where the sensor was we assumed it must hav ebeen steam build up causing the erratic nature

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

speedygonzales

posted on 6/9/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got corrosion on a pin / terminal or for that matter a poorly crimped wire (I prefer soldered joints) it is quite possible to get an intermittent fault. It's something easy to check and won't cost you anything.

”Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.” - Oprah Winfrey

twybrow

posted on 6/9/12 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedygonzales
My guess is it's a wiring fault - possibly corrosion. Especially since you say it was working fine and then have started to have problems with it. Give the pins / connections a good clean and see if you have any luck.

Speedygonzales I doth my cap at you sir! I pulled the wiring out, and I found that in one place, the wire has melted where it touched the block, exposing the earth sheath, and I suspect also nicked one of the wires within it. I have cut out the damaged section, soldered it back up, and re-attached the sheath. Fingers crossed for a run out tomorrow to check it, but I am hopeful!

Thanks for the input so far - I will report back on how successful it is!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.