Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 70mph hayabusa revs
Davegtst

posted on 19/9/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
70mph hayabusa revs

I've been out on my first proper drive today. After driving at 70mph for about 10 minutes i was getting a bit paranoid about the revs. Mine seems to sit at 6000 rpm ish. I know mine revs alot higher but how happy are bike engines sitting at these revs for long periods? I have a 3.62 diff and could probably do with something like a 3.14 (£500 !!!) or some kind of overdrive.
Simon

posted on 19/9/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Bikes are fine running at higher revs, it;s the way they work

ATB

Simon

fullpint

posted on 19/9/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
6000rpm, is that all
At 70 my Mk Indy blade is running about 7200rpm I love it and so do the bike engines..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ed1801

posted on 19/9/12 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
My bike will happily sit at 8-9k on the motorway all day... longest is 600 miles in a day on it too!
Davegtst

posted on 19/9/12 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Oh good, i think i just need to get used to it. Having never had a bike or had much to do with them it is very unnerving crusing at revs alot of car engines would be destroying themselves.
OX

posted on 19/9/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
3.38 is what you need . I had a 3.62 and then went to the 3.14 but found it to tall so found the 3.38 a happy medium . With the 3.38 it would still redline in top gear
bi22le

posted on 19/9/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
It does seem weird them sitting that high but its what they do best!!

Get the ear plugs in, the bash hat on and enjoy the ride, that thing will wanna siiiiiinng!!!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

roadrunner

posted on 19/9/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
When I first fitted the zx9 I would take her out for a spin, and I would struggle to get past 7000revs as it felt wrong.
As soon as I started to push through the mental rev limit and start hitting the engines 13000rev limit, it was like travelling through a worm hole in time. FANTASTIC feeling.
Going BEC has been the best and most reliable thing I have done to my Indy. It would sit at 9000 all day long on motorways.

Brad.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 19/9/12 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Getting on for 12mph/1K is in the right area for a Hayabusa car. Pretty relaxed actually.

My MegaBusa had the factory ingredients; 3.21 Freeloader diff, 205/60/13 rears. The car (brick) and engine topped out at ca. 130mph. Aerodynamics are not your friend with a 7.

As for revs, just pile them on. This is not a Pinto. Just pointlessly going up and down the gears a bit, relieves the boredom. You can hit the rev limiter, just don't make too much of a habit of it. As long as the oil stays cool, no issues.

Compare your 'Busa to a 1000cc car, and you're very relaxed.

sdh2903

posted on 19/9/12 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
As above I was exactly the same. Going from a diesel tintop to a bec for first time. Learning that 6k is where all the fun starts just seems wrong! Only now after a few hundred miles am I getting the confidence to start opening it up a little more.

adithorp

posted on 19/9/12 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've done several 500+ mile days with most of that above 7000rpm... well above at times!

As has been said; It's what they're built to do... Vive la rev's!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bobinspain

posted on 19/9/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
I've been out on my first proper drive today. After driving at 70mph for about 10 minutes i was getting a bit paranoid about the revs. Mine seems to sit at 6000 rpm ish. I know mine revs alot higher but how happy are bike engines sitting at these revs for long periods? I have a 3.62 diff and could probably do with something like a 3.14 (£500 !!!) or some kind of overdrive.

Dave,

Driving a cec for forty-something years (latterly low-revving oil-burners), then climbing into the MK-Busa is something of daunting experience.
I still haven't revved the engine beyond 10k rpm, but there's a sea-change in oomph when you go through 8k rpm. The machine really flies and everything happens very quickly.
On 3 separate occasions, I've been accelerating hard, watching the revs, thinking I'm about to rotate (take-off), only to look at the Gipro to see I'm still in 5th. Doh !
I have an oil-pressure gauge dead ahead, in my field of vision, next to the Gipro and a flick of the eyes to the right brings the rev-counter into view. I barely look at the speedo.
It's a steep learning curve isn't it?

Addendum to last night's post Dave.
At 6k rpm I'm doing 65 mph with the same diff as you?

[Edited on 20/9/12 by bobinspain]

cosmick

posted on 20/9/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 3.36 Ford LSD diff in my Megabusa prior to Westfield using the Freelander item. I use my car on road and track and have found a reasonable solution to lowering the revs in top gear when on the road. I have 2 sets of wheels. the track wheels are 13 inch image split rims running 205/60x13 Yokohama 032 r's. for the road I have a set of 15 inch Team Dynamics wheels with 205/60x15 tyres on the rear and 195/50x15 fronts. The rear tyres look enormous but drop the top gear rpm to 5800 at 70 mph. I have considered fitting a 3.14 diff but to be honest the 3.36 on most tracks seems to be the best ratio. 3.62 is a little high for a Hayabusa as the engine is really torquey and will hit the rev limiter in 6th.
Hope that helps.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

Hellfire

posted on 21/9/12 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
The best thing about cruising at 6,000rpm doing 70mph, is that you are already in the powerband. A quick blip of the throttle and you'll be flying past vehicles when overtaking, although you will then be exceeding the speed limit if you're on a UK Motorway

Phil

ReMan

posted on 21/9/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Firts upgrade/sidegrade I've done in 5 years is to change my diff 3,.62 to a 3,.36
Fireblade was previosly exactly 7000rpm at 70mph which as hellfire says, speed up or slow down by 10-15 mph is very quick as your in the zone.

My change was for top speed as a few trackdays had me running out of revis in 6th, but ists dropped to jut over 6K , wich is slightly less scraeming at 70 but not much difference on the ears, bit better on fuel

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.