Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD: Tools & equipment for 1st kit build
jonabonospen

posted on 25/9/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
WTD: Tools & equipment for 1st kit build

I am looking for general tools and equipment that I may need in order to complete my first kit build. I generally have a good tool chest of ratchets, sockets, spanners etc, but am thinking in particular that I will need the following:

1. Trestles / saw horses (suitable for supporting the chassis off the floor)
  2. Workbench / Workmate type thing for holding / supporting items to be cut etc
  3. Numerous clamps
  4. Jigsaw
  5. Riveting tool
  6. Files suitable for fibreglass and ally finishing
  7. Nut / bolt / washer assortments for 'just in case'
  8. Spare / leftover bits of sheet ally or fibreglass for me to practise some cutting and finishing on
  9. And anything else that you may have that you want rid of that will come in useful

I live in Wakefield / Leeds and travel to my office in Mansfield area at least once a week, and am willing to drive and collect bits and pieces from relatively locally to, or on the way between, these places. Or I will pay for postage if need from further afield.

I aren't just looking for free stuff. I am prepared to give you some beer tokens

Thanks.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
daniel mason

posted on 25/9/12 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
good drills,
holesaws
dremel possibly
riv nut tool
decent metal working drill bits

sdh2903

posted on 25/9/12 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
For riveting floors get a set of lazy tongs they are sooooo much better than the normal type.

tomgregory2000

posted on 25/9/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
For riveting floors get a set of lazy tongs they are sooooo much better than the normal type.

Compressor and air rivet gun,

But a good compressor is a good investment, air impact gun etc etc

marcjagman

posted on 25/9/12 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I live in Wakefield / Leeds and travel to my office in Mansfield area at least once a week, and am willing to drive and collect bits and pieces from relatively locally to, or on the way between, these places. Or I will pay for postage if need from further afield.

I aren't just looking for free stuff. I am prepared to give you some beer tokens

Thanks.

I'm in Hemsworth, I can come and have a chat if you like?

zetec-phill

posted on 26/9/12 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
your in luck

Ok you travel to mansfield, so you must know where kirkby-in-ashfield is?
theres a company there called BAPP, make a list of all the nut a bolts you need
go in a 5 mins later you will be out with all you need, for a few quid. just down the road at sutton, is cromwell tools
any taps or dyes, rivets, or tools they will supply you with, cheap.next door is davmac, they supply any vehicle parts required .also in sutton is a good welder for cash, he will make you anything you need......need further assistance, send me your phone number via U2U

wilkingj

posted on 26/9/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
For nuts a bolts I bought 3 sizes of each, and then cut the nearest to size for the job.

I bought bolts in 10's and nuts n washers by the 100, as there were price breaks at these numbers. Which was well worth considering.
Dont forget some penny washers, especially when bolting down the fibreglass panels.

I got a cheap set of small wall hung bins and put the nuts n bolts in them. one for washers and nuts and one above for the bolts.
I'm still using the bins 6 years on, and have proved to be a good buy as i know exactly where all my nuts n bolts are.

M5, M6, M8 are the most common ones I used.

I also bought stainless ones at the shows. However check they have the correct rating if used anywhere where there are strong forces in action, ie wishbone bolts, etc etc. There I used the proper rated zinc plated bolt and some silicone rubber grease.

I got a Dremel clone from Maplin, it was £29, and had a lot of tools with it.

I got three angle grinders. ALL cheap ones. One with a grinding disc, one with a cupped wire brush (Dont use the wire brushes that fit in your drill they are crap), and one with a 1mm slotting disc in it.
1mm slotting disks are not that robust, but slice thru anything like a hot knife thru butter. I used a lot of these, and they are excellent tools.

Three angry grinders sounds a bit OTT, but the workload is spread between 3 grinders, and you save a shedload of time NOT having to change the disk or brush etc. Its why I did it.

Agree on the Lazy tongues, as 500 rivets is a LOT of exercise for your hands! Air driven riveter is even better, if you have a compressor.
Agreed that a compressor is a good investment.

Welder... If you can weld its a HUGE benefit, as you can make up brackets and easily modify things to suit your application. Again, Welder needs angry grinder as a partner!

The list goes on and on. However you will find all the help and advice you need right here on LCB.
As you can see people are already offering help and a chat!

Its a lot of fun and there are good people on here. It will also cost about twice what you think it will!
But spread over a period its not to hard to achieve.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 26/9/12 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

Dont forget some penny washers, especially when bolting down the fibreglass panels.

How much were your penny washers Geoff?

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.