Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Campervan to hire for Glastonbury?
blueskate

posted on 20/1/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Campervan to hire for Glastonbury?

Hi,

Managed to score some tickets for Glastonbury this year but don't fancy slumming it with the tent people. Does anyone have a Campervan they would like to hire me for 25th June to 1st July? Nothing fancy is just me and the wife.

TIA

Semper Paratus!

daniel mason

posted on 20/1/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
a bit off topic but have they released lineup yet? if so whos on?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/1/13 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
On past weather for the event, you are welcomne to hire my 16' day boat

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

blueskate

posted on 20/1/13 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
No line up yet.

I'll keep the boat offer as a back up plan

Semper Paratus!

morcus

posted on 20/1/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Said in the post that it's the same weekend as the British GP and they're the two biggest events for renting caravans so your probbaly to late to go through a company. Borrow a van or big car and sleep in that. My cousin went one year in a pickup truck with a tent on the bed, said it was great.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

blueskate

posted on 20/1/13 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Said in the post that it's the same weekend as the British GP and they're the two biggest events for renting caravans so your probbaly to late to go through a company. Borrow a van or big car and sleep in that. My cousin went one year in a pickup truck with a tent on the bed, said it was great.

Apparently Glastonbury are wise to this one and only allow properly converted motorhomes now . Otherwise I would have pitched a tent on my trailer!

Semper Paratus!

bi22le

posted on 20/1/13 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got caravan tickets?

I love the "slum it with the tents" comment. You will soon find out that you middle class lot miss out on the Glastonbury vibe!

Glasto is like nothing else on this planet. Been 4 times and would never go anything other than a tent, even with children.

If you have been before and this is a calculated ticket purchase, then not knocking you, each to their own.

If you have never been before, then U2U me and ill give you some very valuable tips.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooha!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Sloan85

posted on 21/1/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
a bit off topic but have they released lineup yet? if so whos on?

Not int officially yet but the rumours are looking good.......

A-ZTo be confirmedStrong RumourRumour
Radiohead
Rodriguez
Florence & The Machine
M.Ward
The Smiths
Kings Of Leon
Daft Punk
Rihanna
Chase & Status
The Rolling Stones
Fleetwood Mac
Mumford and Sons
Paul McCartney
Adele
Arctic Monkeys
Kasabian
Bon Iver

I will be "slumming" it in a tent. First Glasto for me this year having only secured tickets thanks to a Seetickets server error :-)

blueskate

posted on 21/1/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Have you got caravan tickets?

I love the "slum it with the tents" comment. You will soon find out that you middle class lot miss out on the Glastonbury vibe!

Glasto is like nothing else on this planet. Been 4 times and would never go anything other than a tent, even with children.

If you have been before and this is a calculated ticket purchase, then not knocking you, each to their own.

If you have never been before, then U2U me and ill give you some very valuable tips.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooha!

Haven't got caravan tickets yet as you can't buy them until you pay the balance.

Don't get me wrong i love camping.. Just not with other people

Thanks for the u2u offer. Would love some tips as I have no idea what i've let myself in for!

Semper Paratus!

bi22le

posted on 24/1/13 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
NOT FINISHED!!!

This info has been passed to me by friends and gathered by first hand experience over the 4 separate times I have been.

The basics:

So, if you have never been before then Ill start at the beginning. Glastonbury is VAST! Its as big as a large town, not including the parking. something like 190,000 people in total. Oh and ignor the "this includes staff numbers", they get a lot of down time and still cause walking traffic. To get from Pyramid to the other stage (the 2 main stages) can take easily an hour in peak time, corner to corner has taken me 2 hours before, and with no traffic will still be 20-30mins. There will be lots of walking, standing and no seating due to mud. If it is hot then the toilets smell and if it is wet then the mud is quite minging and goes everywhere. Still excited!?!? The general lay out has not changed for years and I expect it not to change this year aswell. You can down load the map. Learn it, evey square inch. It really will help you when your trying to find the loo, fastest way to an area, your tent or a particular food place.

Arriving, camping and leaving:

When you park write down or take a photo of the car location. Its really hard to find your car again as the spaces around you will fill up and after 5 days of partying you really want to find your car fast.

I have noticed that in recent years everybody gets there very early. I have always got there around mid day wednesday. The first time we got there we had loads of space for all of wednesday and thursday, even playing ball games. Friday everybody else arrived. The most recent year I went (2011) we had trouble finding space by mid day on wednesday. Get there as early as possible. Use your navi and find any good short cuts, wardens will stop some but I saved approx and hour last year by diverting round some traffic. The car traffic followed by the queing to get in traffic with rucksacks, followed by finding a tent space is horrible. By far the worst part so get it done and dusted as early as possible. If you cant get there early then try and get just a couple of mates to go there early to put up your tents for you, this is common practice. Dont expect to use guide ropes on tents or gazibos, they will just get cut or taken down! Every time I have been I go by the same rules. Pack every thing in 2 bags. A large ruck sack on your back and a small day sack strapped on my front. The top pocket of my day sack has all my details I need to get in, this leaves my hands free for helping the wife or friends carry their cr&p! If you pack like this it makes you nimble on your feet and more stable in case its muddy or you need to squeeze through small gaps.Loads of people take beer, fire wood, sledges, trailers, water barrels and all sorts. I always travel light and pack bare minimum.

Camping area choice - Depending on who you are, who your with and why your going really will depend on where you stay. One of my favorite areas is around Michael's Mead \ Hawkwall area. park in W22 or as close as possible. From there you have a good view up on the hill, close toillets that are kept clean, you can hear music from the Pyramid stage and there is quick access to Dance village,other stage, John Peel as well as Pyramid. The late night stuff is a very long way away though. This is a great plot to see the stuff on the main stages, stay up till around 1am and get a good nights sleep. If your a raver and want all night parties then get over to Park Hill ground over by The Park. Either way try and avoid heavy walk ways as people take short cuts, toilet areas (obvious reasons) and geographically low as they will flood and people dont care about you or your tent!

When leaving I always leave earlish (about mid day by the time Im ready) on Monday. I have never had problems getting out and if you want to know weather to rush or not then ask a marshal at one of the many posts, they give plenty of car track info.

Music:

The rumour mill that goes on at efestivals is very accurate so keep an eye on that, they dont list times so you cant plan your days. Headliners are normally correct but not always. Dont try and stage hop between band and band, 5 mins to get across different stages, it just wont work. I tried to see every band I wanted to one year and ended up missing more music than any other year. If there are 2 big bands, wher one hapens to finish then then 30 mins later the other starts you can gaurentee that 20,000 people have had the same idea, causing traffic jams! If you really want to see 2 bands in this way then work your way towards the exit planned and leave straight away or leave early. The best times I have had are plotting up at one stage (pyramid has the best views) for long periods of time.

Other entertainment:

If you do get there on wednesday

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.