Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cleaning bike carbs at home
02GF74

posted on 2/6/13 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
cleaning bike carbs at home

got a set of 4 mikuni bike carbs that I am tryingto get clean. so far used paraffin and a toothbrush follwed be a brass brush and dremel stainless steel brushes to remove what the former failed.

still not totally happy (will be getting a thin open dremel brush to get into the small crevices) but wondering if there is a better easier way to clean themn at home.

I have compresor and blasting gun so maybe soda blasting? (after sealing up the carbs - where would one buy soda?)

(I don't have dish washer so cosest would be to put carbs in bucket of hot water and dishwasher tablet - worth doing?)

trikerneil

posted on 2/6/13 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a small ultrasonic bath and have used that with some success.

I have seen carbs cleaned with soda blasting LINKY

I think the soda is water soluble so a blast followd by ultrasonic should be pretty good.

HTH

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robinj66

posted on 2/6/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
You can get soda crystals at any of the major supermarkets Eg, here
02GF74

posted on 2/6/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
You can get soda crystals at any of the major supermarkets Eg, here

hmmm ... I'm pretty sure that baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), a very fine powder, is used, not washing soda (sodium carbonate), which tends to exist a small grained crystlas that want to clump together and is used for degreasing.

robinj66

posted on 2/6/13 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
You might well be right - the link and the video demo both say [bicarb of soda] . However the "soda crystals" from Tesco are in fact a fine powder and not granules but I do wonder what effect they would have on aluminium (certainly shouldn't have prolonged contact in solution but may not have any detrimental effect as a powder ?)

Be interested to know people's thoughts

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.