Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just an idea.....
stevio73

posted on 16/10/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just an idea.....

I'm looking to do the bodywork bits on my build and have found aluminium sheet quite expensive. Just wondered if anyone had used an alternative?

I've seen the fibre glass versions but again expense is the factor. Suppose plywood would work but not sure about the weight or practicalities.

Has anyone considered that plasticised material, like on curtain sided trucks for the sides and back? I've got loads of it and could easily frame it and around exhaust aperture using a little stainless? This way I'd only have to buy Ali for the bonnet.

Quick as a flash...... Nothing happens!

JeffHs

posted on 16/10/13 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I think the curtain side stuff is heavy. Have you considered aircraft fabric (Ceconite)? Easy to apply and tough as old boots.
mark chandler

posted on 16/10/13 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
It's how they used to make cars and planes, bit of canvas then dope!

When my car was covered outside I quite fancied the hidden shape and toyed with the idea of painting the fabric with dope to harden then cut out a body from the hardened lump, not sure how this would work in practise.

balidey

posted on 16/10/13 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
The curtain fabric is heavy.... if you use the heavy stuff. Its available in a whole range of weights.
But, not really worth using as you have to get it drum skin tight to look good and it will deflect badly in a light wind.

There is a very good reason people use GRP and Ally. Its because they are good materials for the job.

But fabric and resin as mentioned above it a good idea. if only you could make the fabric out of glass and perhaps use a polyester resin as the dope?

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Slimy38

posted on 16/10/13 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
But fabric and resin as mentioned above it a good idea. if only you could make the fabric out of glass and perhaps use a polyester resin as the dope?

I'm detecting a hidden message in there... can't quite put my finger on it...

I have to admit I'm in a similar situation to the OP though, I am looking for sheet material and finding it quite expensive. I think the original book talks about using the donor roof and other parts, but as my donor was an MX5 I doubt the roof is going to help. Even the bonnet is next to useless as it's too small for most bits, and too thin aly for the rest.

I have an Ebay search running for second hand steel and aluminium, there have been a few bits pop up but more often than not the seller wants a price that's more than new. An 8x4 sheet of aluminium was for sale for £120, the seller looked to be an old school panel beater by trade with the panel being left over from a job, but with similar panels being half the price for new it's not surprising it didn't sell.

stevio73

posted on 16/10/13 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Oddly enough, ten mins after writing the beginning of this thread a chap I know popped his head around my door asking if I had a use for the Ali panels off an old caravan he's scrapping. I know your gonna say its a bit thin and to be fair I'll be very surprised if I can get it off straight enough to be useful, but God loves a trier.

Perhaps if I backed it with something?

stevio73

posted on 16/10/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Although no ruling out the material I already have, seeing as how a: I have it, and b: it costs nothing.
If I secured it top and bottom then had a bar that screwed out in the middle to make it taut.... Might look a little hamster with cheeks full though.??
Worth investigating as the sheet is just sat there.... And it save buying anything else.

hughpinder

posted on 16/10/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
How much have you been quoted?
Aluminium warehouse gives about £30 +VAT for a 1.2mm sheet 8 ft*4ft, and 40 for a 1.5, my local steel/metal merchant is usually a bit cheaper than they are, and its not like you need loads of sheets!
Regards
Hugh

jossey

posted on 16/10/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure many on here have had this same thought. I know I did but then I went with Ali n damaged it n went with grp in the end.

But I guess most of us have gone over the £250 build guide cost....

Lol

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clanger

posted on 16/10/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that fixed "stiff" panels add to the rigidity of the chassis, bonded, riveted whatever. thin canvas will add extra weight for little or no gains...
doobrychat

posted on 16/10/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
when i wanted a sheet of ally i popped down the local frag and walked out with a new 6x4 and 4x4 sheet of 3mm ally for £12..

its amazing what you can buy back at your local scrappy for peanuts of what they paid for it...

Volvorsport

posted on 16/10/13 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
well , since you need a nosecone , bonnet , scuttle , arches , rear panel ....

you must be talking about the side panels , in which case , make your own grp sheet and bond it onto the chassis , then follow through with the floor and seatbacks , then the bulkhead ....hold on , youve almost made a chassis in grp....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

samjc

posted on 17/10/13 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Either try volvo sports idea ( how my bodyeork is as i bought the chassie from him and is very secure) or hunt ebay. I got 3sheets of 4x6ft ali 1.2mm for under £20 from a guy who makes reception desks and odd aluminium signs but he sells of most stuff under 6ft cheap as too small for his needs.
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/10/13 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
the original book talked about taking the back sheeting from a panel van. only the roof on caravans tens to be flat sheet the rest is ribbed. shop around for sheet from fab shops they tend to be the cheapest and good for offcuts
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevio73

posted on 17/10/13 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
8x4 sheet from a supplier near me £80 + VAT 1.2mm thick which was why I was looking at alternatives. Most listings on flea bay appear similar prices which made me think that was the going rate. Yeah I know you can get an occasional deal but I think I'll have to shop around some more if £30 a sheet is possible.

I bit the bullit with the floor already, 2mm checker plate. Already have a nose cone and have made a scuttle from 1.2mm Ali sheet. So sides, back, bonnet, tunnel, and seat back panel to buy for. Rough estimate (if I'm good) two and a half sheets. (And I might have an off cut to make the dash)

I was just exploring possibilities with the material idea as it's just sat there looking at me. It is the wrong colour for my plan really....

As for the caravan..... Impossible to strip without damage. Glued to the wood frame and way too thin. I might as well use sheets of A4 paper!!

samjc

posted on 17/10/13 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
Try ebay item number 321229306198
Its coloured but surely easy to spray after a good rub down and prime. He can grt othe ali bits but have to call. He gave me his suppliers details but like a lemob ive lost them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.