Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New site problems
David Jenkins

posted on 17/10/02 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
New site problems

Chris,

I like the look of the new site, but I'm getting some problems:

1. The 'new items' icons are not working for me - most of them are grey, even on something I haven't seen before.

2. For some strange reason access to the site is extremely slow over my fast link in the office, but reasonably fast on my slow home dial-up line... weird!

For info, I've tried this using IE6 and Opera browsers. Both have cookies enabled.

regards,

David

Alan B

posted on 17/10/02 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Chris,

I like the look of the new site, but I'm getting some problems:

1. The 'new items' icons are not working for me - most of them are grey, even on something I haven't seen before.

2. For some strange reason access to the site is extremely slow over my fast link in the office, but reasonably fast on my slow home dial-up line... weird!

For info, I've tried this using IE6 and Opera browsers. Both have cookies enabled.

regards,

David

No problem here with speed (dial up) but yes, I'm not getting the new postings icon working properly either.
Otherwise no problems, I like it, especially the mid-engine section

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 17/10/02 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
No problem here either. The server is the same and it's still in the same pysical place so I can't see why the change. Most probably a network issue that'll resolve itself...?

You should expect a slightly longer delay for the pages to load as more queries are being done to the database but were looking in the order of 100ms so I'd doubt you'll notice that!

BTW the number right at the bottom of every page is the time it took for the server to process your request. If this is low (ie < 1sec) it's a network problem, otherwise it's being caused by high server load. Don't worry - LB should have it's own dedicated server soon (well, as soon as I get the cash together for it!)

Chris

PS See the 'Red Topic's post for the other problem....

[Edited on 10/17/02 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 17/10/02 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

It only seems to be on the main LocostBuilders screen.

I get a long delay when I first try to open the page, and if I click on the LocostBuilders tag at the top of the page.

Going from that page to other places is very quick.

David

ChrisW

posted on 17/10/02 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
What does the timer say at the bottom of the page? Is this significant to the time it takes to load?

Chris

My gaff my rules

David Jenkins

posted on 18/10/02 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Chris,

Had a look at the timer this morning...

Opening the main page - data speed = 19 b/sec (yes - 19 bytes per sec!)

Changing to topic lists = 25kbytes/sec.

Changing back to main screen = 10 bytes/sec.

It's worth noting that with the old software (i.e. last week) I got around 20 - 25kbytes every time.

cheers (and good luck!)

David

David Jenkins

posted on 18/10/02 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
update

I watched the 'byte-meter' as I tried to connect - very low rate for a long time, then an increase to several kB and the screen appeared within a second or two.

Seems to be an initial handshake thing.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/10/02 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
ME AGAIN!

I had another thought - have you changed IP numbers as part of the re-arrangement? Or some other aspect of your addressing?

I'm wondering if whichever DNS I'm using doesn't have the correct details - can't find you - hands off the request to another, etc, until you are found - then immediate access.

cheers,

David

ChrisW

posted on 21/10/02 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
David

The server is exactly the same - just the software has changed.

Can you check the page timer for slow and fast pages and post the results please? It's the last thing on every page.

Chris

My gaff my rules

David Jenkins

posted on 22/10/02 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Chris,

Going to the home page from anywhere (from a non-site page, or via the LocostBuilders link at the top of the page) = around 1.85 secs.

From the home page to any page on this site = around 0.3 sec.

I usually have to wait 10 seconds or so to get onto the home page.

cheers,

David

David Jenkins

posted on 22/10/02 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Last input for a while!

Chris,

A little more info - if I'm sitting on the home page and click on refresh then I get the long delay.

This rules out any DNS problem I think... something on the home page is taking a long time to set up or download.

TTFN,

David

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.