Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Search not working properly.
loggyboy

posted on 15/8/13 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Search not working properly.

The new function added a few months back to search post titles only. IIRC this used to work, you could type a users name in and it would pull up all the threads theyve started, but isnt working now.

[Edited on 15-8-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

steve m

posted on 15/8/13 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Seems to be working fine for me

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

twybrow

posted on 15/8/13 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
It only shows the first post in a thread, so the search result will not include any posts in a thread that was started a while back... The old search function gave you every post from that user, which I found more useful.
mcerd1

posted on 15/8/13 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
its working for me too...

but if you don't get what you want then try google - just add this to whatever your searching for site:www.locostbuilders.co.uk and you'll only get results from this site

[Edited on 15/8/2013 by mcerd1]

-

loggyboy

posted on 15/8/13 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Try searching for my username (in the username, not the 'search for' box). Select the 'match all words (Post titles only)' option - That should return all threads ive started, but it doesnt - for me anyway.

Mistral Motorsport

steve m

posted on 15/8/13 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
It worked as it should for me, 3488 posts that contain your log in

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

loggyboy

posted on 15/8/13 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
It worked as it should for me, 3488 posts that contain your log in

Thats just searching for 'match all words', that brings up ALL my posts.
select the next box along 'Match all words (Post titles only)'

That should bring up all the 'threads' ive started only.

Mistral Motorsport

mcerd1

posted on 15/8/13 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
ok i think you've missed something here....

so you want all the threads you've started - rather than every post you've ever made...

the "match exactly (post titles only)" option is looking for post titles that 'match exactly' - so if you leave it blank its going to look for only blank titled posts that you've made
(and I suspect there is a bit of code that ignores blanks like that giving you zero hits)

what you want would need an extra option to search all threads started by a user (and/or all threads they posted in) - I've seen this option on some other forums (often next to the 'all posts' bit in the user profiles)

it the boss does fancy making more search options i'd say the 3 old ones (match any, match all, match exactly) are fine
but with the option of searching 'anywhere in the post' or 'titles only' as an extra modifier on all of them along with the existing modifiers of the user name and forum section...

I think searching for all threads stared by a user would need to be a different option all together - and the user profile is probably the best place for it

[Edited on 15/8/2013 by mcerd1]

-

loggyboy

posted on 15/8/13 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
ok i think you've missed something here....
so you want all the threads you've started - rather than every post you've ever made...
the "match exactly (post titles only)" option is looking for post titles that 'match exactly' - so if you leave it blank its going to look for only blank titled posts that you've made
(and I suspect there is a bit of code that ignores blanks like that giving you zero hits)
what you want would need an extra option to search all threads started by a user (and/or all threads they posted in) - I've seen this option on some other forums (often next to the 'all posts' bit in the user profiles)

it the boss does fancy making more search options i'd say the 3 old ones (match any, match all, match exactly) are fine
but with the option of searching 'anywhere in the post' or 'titles only' as an extra modifier on all of them along with the existing modifiers of the user name and forum section...

I think searching for all threads stared by a user would need to be a different option all together - and the user profile is probably the best place for it

It was me who suggested this search function a while back, and Chris implemented it straight away, and im sure when he first did it you could leave the keyword blank, and type in a the username and it would return all the users started threads.
Maybe im wrong but im sure thats how it used to work!

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.