Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: John Morton Spam
Jasper

posted on 20/10/02 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
John Morton Spam

Anybody else had these? They've come from this site as I have a site specific email address. There was an attachment which I just deleted.

Anymore spams and I'm gonna take my email off, just be contacted via U2U.

Chris, is their no way to stop this?

theconrodkid

posted on 20/10/02 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
ive had a couple,something to do with goldfish,then my virus alert went off,dont know if its him sending a virus,just a bit suss.
bob

posted on 20/10/02 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are coming via ntl world,i just went to settings and barred the sender.

Looks like i might revert to no e-mail again and use the u2u,didnt get moyo dickson when e-mail was off.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/10/02 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
john morton IS sending viruses.

I have had at least 10 from him today.

my norton virus program is trapping a virus at least every 3 days.

if you dont have a virus program on your pc you take a big risk.

atb

steve

James

posted on 21/10/02 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Chris, is their no way to stop this?

Yes, just put *delete* or *nospam* or something in the middle of your e-mail address. Programs trawling the web pulling addresses will then pick up this new address and mail will be sent to that (which obviously doesn't exist so doesn't matter).
Meanwhile if someone wants to mail you when they click your mail icon it shows the address so they can manually remove the *delete* etc.

That wasn't a very good explanation but doing this works for me. I haven't had any new Spam since doing it. If only I'd got round to it before Moyo Dickson found me!!!

Cheers,

James

[Edited on 21/10/02 by James]

ChrisW

posted on 21/10/02 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
There's nothing I can do about it I'm afraid guys - we are all at the peril of someone opening a virus and unknowingly spamming their addressbook. The best thing is to stop things at their source and either don't open exe/pif/bat/scr files or run a decent virus checker like Norton or McAfee.

It doesn't matter how many *nospam* etc ways u try to hide your address - if someone has emailled you on that address you're in their addressbook and you will get hit if they're stupid enough to open a virus!

Chris

[Edited on 10/21/02 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 22/10/02 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It doesn't matter how many *nospam* etc ways u try to hide your address - if someone has emailled you on that address you're in their addressbook and you will get hit if they're stupid enough to open a virus!

Chris

[Edited on 10/21/02 by ChrisW]

Yeah, sorry. Doing what I said will only help stop you getting spam, not viruses from people who already have you're address.

What these programs (viruses) rely on is people who can't be bothered to find out about getting up to date virus protection and who are unobservant enough that they just run anything that is sent to them. Even with all the current media hype and interest over viruses it still seems people are just not bothering.

Even in a highly IT literate company such as mine where we have a dozen or so full time employees dedicated to virus protection plus others (like me) who do it as part of their job we still can't stop them!

A fact of life I now think.

BR,

James

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.