Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Computer voice over for Youtube
Mr Whippy

posted on 31/3/24 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Computer voice over for Youtube

It's somewhat funny but if you've ever done a voice over for a youtube vid, then you'll know it is so much harder than it looks maybe I need a good drink before hand but it's non stop frustration... not so much bloopers as total F&$k up!

Then I started looking at AI voice overs, now like a lot of people I do hate a crappy computer voice, they just suck! Often they mispronounce the most basic words, then comments are full of people just correcting them. I can only think that these vids are made in China or the like where they don't even realise they have goofed up. However I've come across a few sites that have some amazingly good voices from text. I fact I now realise at a lot of science videos I've been watching are in fact voiced over by a computer and I didn't even realise it! how did I find out? Well I've come across the exact same voices

So what do you think, would you use a good AI voice over or do a crappy half baked real life commentary.

[Edited on 31/3/24 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 31/3/24 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately my accent completely prohibits me from using any kind of real life commentary, for once AI is actually a good thing!

(In case you were wondering, I spent the first few year of my adult life being compared to Mark Williams, AKA 'we wanna be together'... )

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/3/24 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Unfortunately my accent completely prohibits me from using any kind of real life commentary, for once AI is actually a good thing!

(In case you were wondering, I spent the first few year of my adult life being compared to Mark Williams, AKA 'we wanna be together'... )

Yeah I remember that ad, my sisters met him after Harry Potter. I'm in the same boat but with a strong Inverness shire/Aberdonian accent with a bad habit of lazy local slang so that no one outside my area will have clue what I'm saying

I think that may be part of the problem as I'm trying to speak "properly" and so can't speak naturally, and then over think things only then make a mess of what I was trying to say...it's a shambles

[Edited on 31/3/24 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 31/3/24 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
if you want to experiment, vidnoz is free for generating up to 3 minutes per day. it can even make free talking pictures of the same length. lots of paid options too,
Mr Whippy

posted on 31/3/24 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
cheers I will have a look at that

David Jenkins

posted on 2/4/24 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
It's somewhat funny but if you've ever done a voice over for a youtube vid, then you'll know it is so much harder than it looks maybe I need a good drink before hand but it's non stop frustration... not so much bloopers as total F&$k up!

This doesn't help with what you want, but if you like to amuse yourself watching some excellent bloopers, take a look at this YouTube channel.

Cutting Edge Engineering

They do some really awe-inspiring engineering on earth-mover and digger parts - well worth a look - but the bloopers come at the end... keep the kiddies away if you don't want them to hear swearing!

bi22le

posted on 9/4/24 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ha ha this is funny, as I was recording some intro outro and voice overs a week or so back for my new channel. Its hard work.

I found it harder when someone else was with me videoing. I didn't think as freely and it took more effort than needed! The additional problem is my "cameraman" is my friend who is doing all the editing etc and he is a slick operator. So he was saying the kind of thing that I needed to say and then I was trying to say it but in my own way. Its tough, but practice and many many takes will get there in the end. . . plus some clever editing!!

Good luck.

Let us know your channel and we can all take a look. Ill certainly be advertising mine on here when it certainly launches.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

bi22le

posted on 9/4/24 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding accent, I have a London Essex Australian accent. Depending on where in the world you are from. Luckily I have to posh up my accent for work when talking technical to non-technical folk, so I can speak clearly when I need to but often slip once in the flow!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/24 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
yeah it's not easy.

I'll post a link once I have managed to sort it out

coyoteboy

posted on 9/4/24 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
All the good channels are scripted and use their real voice. Even with mistakes and funny local accents, it's far more human and engaging.
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/4/24 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
All the good channels are scripted and use their real voice. Even with mistakes and funny local accents, it's far more human and engaging.

Yes, I do agree, I'll try both methods and pick the best.

bi22le

posted on 10/4/24 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I don't script mine, I think it shows . . . .

David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/24 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Yeah I remember that ad, my sisters met him after Harry Potter. I'm in the same boat but with a strong Inverness shire/Aberdonian accent with a bad habit of lazy local slang so that no one outside my area will have clue what I'm saying

My brother's family lived near Nairn for a while and, when I went to my nephew's wedding, it turned out that his bride's family were originally from Aberdeenshire. At the reception we sat next to some of her relatives - and totally failed to understand a word they said!

My brother's accent is a mix of Welsh, English and Scottish, and my sister-in-law is pure Inverness/Nairn - and she has quite a soft "posh" accent. Now my brother and his wife live in Dornoch, my nephew and his family live on the Orkney Islands, and my Niece lives north of Blairgowrie. I need a phrasebook, I think...

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/4/24 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Many years ago when I stayed in Inverness, me and my dad went over to Aberdeen to look at a JCB digger which was being sold by a farmer who spoke with a very thick Aberdonian accent. Afterwards I turned to my dad and said did you understand anything he said cos I couldn't? My dad replied Nope! We never bought that digger...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.