Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Robin Hood
Simon

posted on 28/11/02 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood

Gents,

I've heard my other half's cousin is thinking about buying a Robin Hood kit.

What probs may he encounter.

I know there has been a bit of bad press on here about them.

Thanks

Simon

Jasper

posted on 28/11/02 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Read it all and see!!!

From what I've seen and heard, they are cheap for a reason, the finish on component parts leaves something to be desired, there is a lot of work to do to make it all fit together, and you end up with a car that IMO looks pants, much to wide and bulky.

I would save my money, buy an MK Indy chassis, and go from there.l

Stu16v

posted on 28/11/02 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Another thing to bear in mind....Robin Hoods will never be a true sports car. Ultimately all they are is a re-bodied Sierra. The suspension system is primative to say the least. IMHO if you have the skill to get a tidy RH on the road, then you have the skill to build a proper car. And I doubt it would cost much more to be honest, and a lot more rewarding.

Dont just build it.....make it!

geoff shep

posted on 28/11/02 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have you read through this recent thread on 'anything else'? I've built one and it was/is not bad - but now I know what I'm doing I'd rather build one to my own spec rather than trying to improve another design. (My kit is 1995 vintage monocoque - no experience of current tubular frame kits)

Read the thread here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=2367

[Edited on 29/11/02 by geoff shep]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/11/02 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
stu...

isnt any kit car just a rebodied summat or other?

I can just imagine how a bike purist might feel about fireblade engines being in a car, for instance.

Check out

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/robinhood2b for the read good stuf / dirt - however you see it.

Ideally, take a look at a kit car show.

Martin Keenans Indy looks very very nice - the RH 2b looked like a pile of burnt lazer cut steel. Tere are many happy with what it turns into tho.

atb

steve

bsilly

posted on 28/11/02 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
with a robinhood you get problems....with an mk you get problems....with a .... with my 2001 nissan theres problems....but how can it be much worse with a robinhood...it depends on our own capabilities....what someone may think is a major prob others may think easy...i am doing robinhood 2b with wishbone front suspension...and sierra irs....i have had it 2 months and can already drive it about..ive encountered no problems that couldn't be sorted out easily...in fact its a peice of piss
Stu16v

posted on 28/11/02 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Steve- I suppose you are right. But few kits use quite as much of their donor car as the Robin Hood, and IMO that is the big comprimise. Using almost all of the donors suspension, although ingenious, will have major shortcomings in the handling department. Obviously that is just my opinion, but that is what Simon has asked all of us for.
I have seen some good examples at various shows etc, but unfortunately the majority seem to reflect the quality of the kit. I personally think it would be far more rewarding to put effort into something that is well engineered in the first place and end up with an outstanding car instead.

Cheers, Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Simon

posted on 29/11/02 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Chaps,

If I see him, which is possible(!), I'll strongly recommend he does a bit of travelling - ie visits MK, Luego RH et al and gets realistic views from all of them regarding build time estimates, costings etc.

It'll have to be up to him to decide which is quality. But hopefully, that should be obvious.

Also, by meeting the various outfits, should get an idea of the company, by the personnel that he comes into contact with.

Thanks and

ATB

Simon

PS Alternatively, I could build a chassis for him:-)

Petemate

posted on 1/12/02 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood

Hi Guys
My opinion for wot itz wurth. The 2b is not too bad for the money. I'm about 1/2way thru the build, and like others say, there are probs but nothing that can't be overcome. After completion, I reckon I could both build AND enjoy a Locost, in fact if I live long enough I might just do that. To digress slightly, I like this site and the way it's laid out. There seems to be the same slightly warped sense of humour running through all of the club sites - right up my street. BOL to you all whatever you're building and enjoy the sense of achievement at the end.

Jasper

posted on 1/12/02 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry if I offended any RH builders/owners! ... I think it great to building ANYTHING car based in the garage and enjoy the process, the Robin Hood was the first thing I ever got interested in, and only digressed when I found this site. Everbody is most certainly welcome here.
Petemate

posted on 1/12/02 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood

Hi Jasper - no offence taken mate. The remarks re quality etc I admit are well founded, but of course the finished product appearance counts - beauty, beholder etc!! I got R.C's book a couple of years ago, and if my welding skills were then what they are now I think I would have gone the Locost route. But back to what I said earlier, this site is very good andthere is a useful mine of info in it. Thanks for the welcome.
Pete (Oldgit)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.