Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Is the 'new posts' thing fixed?
ChrisW

posted on 12/12/02 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Is the 'new posts' thing fixed?

Right, before you all go 'no' here's how it works....

1. Register your username (just coming to the site since about 8 this evening will do it automatically)
2. Go away for 15 minutes (or longer)
3. Come back... the red envelope thing should show any forums with new posts since your last visit.

Geddit? NOTE: If you're reading this for the first time you need to go away from the site for 15 mins *before* it'll work.

One other thing - it only works in the index page not in the forums themselves.

Show of hands please... have I fixed it?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 13/12/02 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Seems OK, but I've only tried once - we'll what happens when a new post comes in (like this one )

David

David Jenkins

posted on 13/12/02 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Works OK - to a point!

I discovered one 'Gotcha'...

It was fine while I was logged in, but after I logged out every line on the home page had a red evelope again.

It never used to work like that, did it?

David

ChrisW

posted on 13/12/02 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
That's a 'limitaion' (not a bug!). Only members have a time associated with their last visit. If you are not logged in theres not way of telling who you are and therefore when you were last here.

If you log back in again it should realise it's you and start working again.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 13/12/02 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'll let you know when I get back from work, I'm at home now on lunch but will have to go back

So like I say, I'll let you know after 6

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

Findlay234

posted on 13/12/02 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
why cant you place a time association on the cookies left on the users computer. then it would be dependent on the computer being used and not the members sign in name. well done on getting it sorted by the way and cheers for the site, if we ever meet ill buy you a beer.

cheers
fin

RoadkillUK

posted on 13/12/02 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
It shows red folders on the topics, but once you enter a topic the red folders are random.

HTH

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

Liam

posted on 14/12/02 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah - folders work ok on the main index page! Yipee.

Never bothered me that much anyway - kinda got used to it. It's easy to see where the new posts are cos the topics move to the top - dur.

Keep up the good work.

Liam

ChrisW

posted on 16/12/02 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Roadkill:

quote:

One other thing - it only works in the index page not in the forums themselves.

I'm planning on making it work for the rest of the site but it's not bad for a first attempt.

findlay:

quote:

why cant you place a time association on the cookies left on the users computer?

Because the cookie doesn't follow you if you then log on elsewhere. If I did that it would show you the posts made since someone (not necesarily you) looked at the site on that particular machine.

Chris

My gaff my rules

jollygreengiant

posted on 16/12/02 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
dur i tink dat da meenins of da envolops change as yu go inta da topic.
RoadkillUK

posted on 16/12/02 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
NP Chris, you did ask.

Then I noticed that you had already mentioned it in your original post (thought best to keep quiet and hope no-one noticed)

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.