Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Time for some difficult decisions!!
ben salt

posted on 1/11/05 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Time for some difficult decisions!!

Well, having spent the last 3 years reading everything that I can (having a university library is great!!), and following the progress of the (truly fantastic) cars being built on here, its time to finally start putting my ideas together.
Ideally, my car will be mid engined, using a BMW straight 6, and the bodywork similar to the Jaguar F type concept of 2000.
Unfortunately, one of these 3 factors has to go.
Using the F type bodywork (I have a good 3d model, and it is the only body that I have seen and thought wow every time I look at it), it would be impossible to make a mid engined car using the straight 6. I could however fit a transverse 4 cylinder engine in, but this does mean ££ to get the sort of power possible from the Beemer engine)
Alternatively I could go for a front engined layout.
Since I can't decide where to compromise, thought I would ask what everyone else thinks!!
Cheers
Ben

andygtt

posted on 1/11/05 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think pictures of the body would be good...... and I'd question your power assumptions as it will all depend on which BMW 6 you are planning.
A 6 from the M3 would be very expensive to match, but most of the others could be match using a good V6 from a ford, alfa etc.... and they would already be mounted traversly.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

donut

posted on 1/11/05 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Front engine, rear wheel drive......sorted!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kb58

posted on 1/11/05 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Transverse V6 or even V8?

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ayoungman

posted on 1/11/05 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
lets av some pictures, so we can muse a little over your options.

"just like that !"

JonBowden

posted on 1/11/05 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Why are you so keen on the BMW engine? Many other engines can provide high power output at quite low cost and are shorter and lighter.

You seem keen on making complex bodywork. Whilst I find the idea exciting, it might take a very long time to get right. This guy here is doing a nice job but he as been at it for quite a while.

Anyway, I wish you luck - post any pictures as you go

Jon

gutball

posted on 1/11/05 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
For F-type like bodywork I think you'll have to go front engined - or maybe rear engined ala 911.

No way to keep it looking like this as a middy:

Sexy car though!

akumabito

posted on 2/11/05 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
That car was designed to be front engined, right?

BTW, it's a good looking car for sure, but nowhere as sexy as the original e-type...

RallyHarry

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Great !

This is the car I've been trying to build ( in theory) for the last couple of years, got the 3D model too

The body only lends itself to front engine RWD, there's not enough space for an engine in the back (just diff and fuelcell). The good news is that the proportions is similar to the 7 so you can stretch the chassis to get the correct wheelbase.

A few problems that you will need to sort out:
1. The windscreen, not exactly "off the shelf" stuff.
2. Door windows, same thing there.
3. Rollover protection will spoil the rear shapes
4. REALLY complex mold making, my fiberglass guy had nightmares after showing the model.
5. There are no rearlights that are E-marked like that
6. Jaguar found out that the highspeed handling has dangerous.
7. The only way to do the shapes justice is to digitize the 3D model and run it through a 5 axis CNC mill.

Last but not least, if you make a nice mould, I would buy a draft from it in an instance !

Cheers

ps. I thought of a Bemer 6 from the M factoy too, but ....

ben salt

posted on 2/11/05 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies

Bodywork - I know it is a complex shape, but if this is the one-off, one time only car I'm going to build from scratch, it has to be something I am going to be happy looking at!! However, I do know that it will be impossible to make an exact replica, and a few things (lights, windscreen etc) will have to be compromises.
Having spent lots of time in lectures sketching, measuring etc, I do think that it would be possible to squeeze a Duratec behind the seats with only minor shifting about of the overall shape (its great being at uni where there are lots of great arty people willing to redraw things for me!!). However, I haven't been able to decide whether the advantaged of a mid-engined layout vs front engined justify going for a smaller engine in that configuration.

Does anyone have any rough measurements of a transverse V6, so I can see whether these can be squeezed in?

Rallyharry - where did you get your 3d model from? I'm using one adapted from Need for Speed, which does have a few errors, but isn't bad on the overall shape.

So, I suppose the question thats been going round and round is Big front engined or smaller mid engined? Which one is going to give me the biggest grin?
Alternatively do I scrap the bodywork idea and try to come up with a mid- engined shape that could fit a bigger engine and I like!!
Oh dear
Round and round I go like the last 3 years - more doodling time in lectures I think!

Cheers
Ben

RallyHarry

posted on 2/11/05 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
If you put the engine in the back, whats the looong bonnet for then ?
Theres significant overhang at the back so the only solution is to use an boxer6 from an 911 and unless you copy the suspension geometry from the porche, it's going to be a nightmare to drive.

The benefit of creating something of your own is that you get to make all the choices.

Speaking of one-offs, remember that you need to be able to make more than one bodyshell when your rear-ended by a drunk etc.

Cheers

RallyHarry

posted on 2/11/05 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot your question

>Rallyharry - where did you get your 3d model from? I'm using one adapted from Need for Speed, which does have a few errors, but isn't bad on the overall shape.

I've got the solid cast model from the press-kit >> picture here
There's a company that sells diecast scale cars called marquecars or similar in the UK, that's a copy of the car in the picture.

Cheers

Fred W B

posted on 2/11/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Think about the ideal car design process

If you want it to go well and look good?

1. Design platform, including passenger position, engine type and position, track, wheel base,
2. Design chassis and package systems, including suspension, engine intake and exhaust, fuel tank etc
3. Design body to cover all above
4. Make body look good.

Or do you want it to look good and, err um.

1. Make body look good
2. Stuff the rest inside somehow

Cheers

Fred WB

andygtt

posted on 2/11/05 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Now your requirements are more clear I'd say you almost certainly need to go front engined...... then you can use that BMW 6 or even better a BMW V12 (like me) and make the car look as you want and handle.

I'd say if you stuff and engine in the back of that body you will struggle to get it to handle as well as a well proven front engined design.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

8smokingbarrels

posted on 2/11/05 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just a (rather unoriginal admittedly) thought.

Have you thought of doing a cobra replica? Its not a million miles from the car you want and there is all the help you need in terms of parts.

Not exactly a one off but the grin factor would still be huge and if you want to be different go for FRONT mid-engined- that will get them talking!

chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.