Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance advice needed.
DorsetStrider

posted on 20/12/05 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance advice needed.

Hiya merry christmas all.

A friend of mine came out of her house yesterday only to find that some scrote of a workman (we are assuming it's a workman as they have 4 lots working down her street at the moment) had hit the side of her new (new to her not new NEW) car. He hadn't left any message of apology or contact details and apparently the damage is quite extensive so he must have known he'd hit her car.

Now am I just dreaming this or do I remember seeing on here a while ago that it's possible to claim in a situation like this from the uninsured drivers thing? So she can get the repairs done without losing her no claims.

I've done a search but can't find anything so am not sure now if I really did see something along these lines or if my imagination is playing tricks again.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice.

And god bless us......every one! (always wanted to say that )

[Edited on 20/12/05 by DorsetStrider]

Who the f**K tightened this up!

smart51

posted on 20/12/05 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
If she had comprihensive insurance then she can claim on her own policy but will then loose some no-claims bonus and may be moved onto a more expensive policy next year.

She could report the incident to the police, who may investigate and find a white van nearby with a dent in it and traces of paint from your friends car...

A neighbour's mother reversed into my car several years ago and she drove off without leaving details. Another neighbour tipped me off. I went round to the mothers house a couple of streets away and looed at the paint marks on her rear bumper. Husband of the mother came out and asked what I was looking at. I told him that I'd been tipped off that Mother had crashed into my car and driven off, to which he said no. I then replied. Fair enough then. I'll just report the mystery driver to the police then. Sorry to bother you. Ooh, look. theres blue paint on your red car there. I left. Two minutes later he came round to my house, appologised. He paid for the repairs in cash.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 20/12/05 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
There is something like that. I might be wrong but I would think you'd need to identify the driver and then show that they were uninsured before you'd stand a hope of claiming anything from them, the procedure is usually used for when you're hit by a joyrider etc.

emsfactory

posted on 20/12/05 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hire some heavies. Workies have no respect for law and order but shove some muscle at them and watch the change.
Have seen it done before.

DorsetStrider

posted on 20/12/05 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmmmmm Ok.

I'm gonna get her to put a sign in the window of her car asking for details from any witnesses....

Who know's maybe whoever did it will have an attack of guilty and own up.... (don't worry I'm not gonna hold my breath)

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 20/12/05 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
The bin men round here carry sticky pouches with contact details in, slap one on your windscreen if they catch your car with their wagon. Looks just like a parking ticket as you walk up to the vehicle.

My neighbours had his os mirror knocked off, walks up to the car cursing cos he thinks hes got a ticket, imagine the scene when he sees the side of the car

steve_gus

posted on 20/12/05 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
so, you are gonna threaten who out of the (four or so was it said?) groups of builders working down the street? Exactly where does the average lady driver hire a bunch of heavies to pick on a typically wimpy builder......

If those 'workies' also have mates, she might find they have tarmacked her car, not the drive next morning - it will be clear to them who is making the threats - unless there are several damaged cars in the street....

better advice might be to ask mark allanson on this forum who is an insurance assesor who until the last year worked in a car body repair shop.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by emsfactory
Hire some heavies. Workies have no respect for law and order but shove some muscle at them and watch the change.
Have seen it done before.

[Edited on 20/12/05 by steve_gus]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DorsetStrider

posted on 20/12/05 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
While it's true that being a little guy I do have some borderline psychotic tendancies (mostly when it comes to the teletubbies) however even I'm not stupid enough (and that's saying something) to take on 40+ builders by myself.

Also the lady in question lives 350 miles away. Have told her to report the incident to both the police and council (the workers are working for the council) and stick a sign in her window asking for witnesses and the guilty party to own up. (stranger things HAVE happened.... I bought a take that CD once!)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.