Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK chassis design
andrews_45

posted on 15/12/06 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
MK chassis design

Right then... I have some minor problems with my car, that could have drastic effects on my handling.

I have took my car to a race car company, to have some base settings done. I got a call from them to say I have zero castor on the front end set up and my car wouldnt handle on a track as it is.

Ok, I thought... No problems I'll just call MK and explain the mistake, who assured me that no locost race cars have any castor and it is how they are designed.

NOW!!!! I could be wrong, and left to eat humble pie.!! But it seems to me that my car has a inherent in-built design problem, can anybody pursuade me different. I did suggest to MK that they could exchange my top wishbones for a set with the correct castor i.e 5 deg positive (or is that negative, i always get confused), but I was assured that me, and a experienced race set up company are wrong...

Who do I listen to??

Help and advice pls

Pls note: I have zero issues with MK and have found them a very helpful company in past experience, I just do not think they are right in this case

Andy S

posted on 16/12/06 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree with your race car company that zero would be a particularly bad thing - 5-7 degrees in my book.

We know that the book has an error with the top wishbones but I dont think that even Ron is that far out.

Zero would give some very strange feeling

Perhaps give MK the benefit of the doubt that they got the wrong end of the conversation and ask them again.

Cheers

Andrew

[Edited on 16/12/06 by Andy S]

pawgrp

posted on 16/12/06 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
talk to martin keenan at mk eng, he made the jigs and he will be able to explain. hope this helps.
oliwb

posted on 16/12/06 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
&'s always have problems with castor (I say problems because its only really a problem with self centering and SVA not handling.) I don't honestly know what my CAT is setup to but it handles like nothing else.....I was thrashing a 911 Carrera in some twisties the other day with it no sweat (got wasted on the straights - obviously!) I'm not really much of a boffin when it comes to handling geomoetry etc but I imagine that your MK wont be any different to the others (all made on jigs) so if no one else has a problem with castor and handling it makes sense that you wont either. Obviously I could be wrong.....don't MK use those mushrooms in the front uprights that can be rotated to induce castor? Have you set them up right?? Also whats the car ultimately for? If its going to be SVA'd I wouldn't spend too much time setting it up now as you'll lose all your settings making it self centre properly and various other bits and bobs for SVA. Obviously if its not going to be used on track after SVA then I would suggest that a race garage are not the best ppl to setup a road car as they don't usually take into consideration things like bump steer etc....some food for thought....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 16/12/06 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
The most important thing about caster is to get both sides exactly equal when the suspension is in its normal static loaded condition otherwise the steering will pull.

Caster is a complex subject, in the days of high profile cross-ply tyres a lot was needed especially on cars that were light at the front, with modern tyres much less is needed.
The ammount of caster used is also closely connected to king pin inclination and camber angles. In old cars used a lot of caster linked to a lot of kpi and a quite a lot of posative camber.

The Cortina upright (and the Sierra based upright) has very little caster designed in. With the Cortina upright use a lot of caster and you will end up too much negative camber in turns.

MK set thier cars up with a fair bit of negative camber, if you increase the caster angle you may find this has to be reduced and this may have other effects.

Also remember ride height trim front to rear has a big effect on caster ---- raising the rear ride height car relative to the front decreases caster.

***** How often do I have to repeat this point ******
***** Rotating the mushroom won't alter the Caster angle *****

However it will alter the king pin inclination if the same camber angle is set.

On the good side caster gives better self-centering and road feel.
On the bad side Caster increases bump & roll steer and also loads up the steering in turns and increases tramlining.

andrews_45

posted on 16/12/06 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
No mushroom on my car, its a locost race car. I told MK what it was for when I ordered it. I have got to use Cortina uprights as per the locost race regs.
flange nut

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
This could be a stupid suggestion but could you have the top wishbones on upside down?
TimC

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Ring Matt @ Procomp

0121 3503258

He'll put you right.

Hellfire

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Is it an Indy you're talking about? Are you sure your wishbones are on the right way? Reason I ask, is because the MK wishbones do have castor.

Phil

britishtrident

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Is it an Indy you're talking about? Are you sure your wishbones are on the right way? Reason I ask, is because the MK wishbones do have castor.

Phil

Good point

TimC

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Phil

Good point

Except that it's not an Indy - it's a 750MC Locost.

andrews_45

posted on 16/12/06 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I can confirm that they are the right way round. MK said that they are jig made and none of the locost race cars have any castor
D Beddows

posted on 16/12/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Vote number 2 for phoning Matt at Procomp

Andy S

posted on 16/12/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrews_45
I can confirm that they are the right way round. MK said that they are jig made and none of the locost race cars have any castor

Not great reasoning - are they able to give a better technical explanation as to why they think that the geometry works better that way?

Andrew

D Beddows

posted on 16/12/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Probably for similar technical reasons to not designing them to be strong enough either

procomp

posted on 16/12/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi just about sums up MK's attitude. All the other manufacturers of chassis for the locost championship certinaly DO have castor on them.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi posted reply in the race isues section.

cheers matt

procomp

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi And you honestly BELIVE every thing you read in the kit magazines.

Maybe all the race driver that have had Mk chassis must be wrong about the handeling problems with thier wishbones and Zero castor then.

I still cant see what you are trying to say as Mk have said that they are jigged for Zero castor and that is what they have got .

cheers matt

Hellfire

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Charlie, I don't think anyone's questioning the amount of caster on the Indy wishbones. Don't know if the MK Locost ones are manufactured to the same dimensions though but from other threads, it would appear not.

Phil

procomp

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i dont think that i am degrading them they are the ones that have admitted to running cars with no castor.

They are also the ones that LIED by telling thier customer that all locost race cars have zero castor so accept it .

All of the other manufacturers actually do have castor on them.

cheers mat

procomp

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi is the Mk sprint allowed in to any of the race championships that we race in.

Is it allowed in to the FIA historics.

Is it allowed in to the barc westfield race serise.

Is it allowed in to any of the 750mc championships .

cheers matt

procomp

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i hope they handel better than the one in the 750 kit championship.

Anyhow slightly off the topic off castor.

Off to bed cheers matt

Hellfire

posted on 16/12/06 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Could these posts possibly explain why the vehicle in question has no castor??

It would appear that the wishbone brackets may have been moved and re-welded??

This post

And the post below would suggest Luego wishbones have been used, or is this not the case??

This post

I'm not trying to stir things up, just trying to figure out why there's no castor but it would appear that MK may not be the ones to blame...................

Phil

[Edited on 16-12-06 by Hellfire]

Hellfire

posted on 16/12/06 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Also notice that the lower bracket at the rear has been repositioned and re-welded

Phil

Hellfire

posted on 16/12/06 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hang on a minute.......... The race car company that is setting the car up for you is Procomp isn't it??

Like Charlie said earlier, and after looking at some of Matts historic posts, he clearly seems to have issues with MK for whatever reason..........

Phil

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.