Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EFI fuel pump - evaporative loss or not?
AdamR

posted on 13/11/07 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
EFI fuel pump - evaporative loss or not?

I'm trying to chose between two Land Rover in-tank pump/sender units. The description for the cheaper one says "not for evap loss". Any ideas what practical difference that makes?

FYI the models are PRC9409 and ESR3926.

DEAN C.

posted on 13/11/07 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I cant see apart from how it fits into the tank how an evaporative loss type makes a difference to the working of the pump.

I thought the fume loss system was a seperate system that just allows fumes from the tank to vent into a carbon cannister,later to be vented into the induction manifold to burn off,rather than vent to atmosphere.

I might be wrong here but I would guess that the tank is just a different design so either pump will do the same job.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

RazMan

posted on 13/11/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the V8 version which is cheaper too. It works fine for me but I havent a clue about the evaporation thing.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdamR

posted on 14/11/07 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Dean, I think you must be right - I can't see how the pump would be different for an evaporative system.

Raz, these are the two models of V8 pump. Do you know which one you have? Also, how did you fit it? From looking at the pics, neither seems to have the usual mounting flange with bolt holes. In the original installation a plastic locking ring mates with the tank.

RazMan

posted on 14/11/07 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure which model I have but it just has a feed and return like any other that I have seen and the pump gives over 3 bar of pressure - easily copes with my V6's needs.

You will have to make a circular locking ring (Aerocap stylee) to clamp it down to six tapped holes in the top of the fuel tank with a gasket which comes with the pump - quite straight forward though.

The best thing about the pump assembly is that it adjusts to the height of your tank (between 250-300mm iirc) but it is probably a good idea to make a small sump so that the pickup gets every last drop.

[Edited on 14-11-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.