Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: new builder
dougal

posted on 30/7/02 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
new builder

ok this is my first post.
after finnishing uni this year i have finaly started somthing i have wanted to do for years. ie build my own car.
i want to be able to do hill climbs etc in the future and have been working out the spec around the best bits i can pickup down my local scrapyard.
so far i have
bought a donar sierra 2l for 40 quid and scraped it after plundering it for bits.
got an xr4x4 rear end in exchange for the scraped sierra (i know the bloke) as it has an lsd and rear discs.
got a low milage 20xe vauxhall for 80 quid and a distributor off a 1.6 astra.
bought a 1.8 carlton box from scrapyard for 30 cos it is lighter than the type 9 and fits streight up to the engine.
i have also bought a set or red dot groved discs and fast rd pads for front.

basicaly i intend to use the sierra front hubs, brakes and steering rack unless a lighter weight solution can be suggested and use a modified tiger avon irs chassis when the book gets to me.

what does everyone recon to the spec so far and can anyone give any further tips.

i am also considering inboard shocks if in reality they will aid performance on a mainly road car

chears pete.

ps i am based in evesham, worcestershire

Alan B

posted on 31/7/02 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
Only comment I'd make (before someone else does) is, if you are going to have to alter a chassis, then why not make it in the first place and get what you want instead of a compromise?

I know there may other factors I'm not aware of but you seem pretty resourceful so far.

Just IMO of course.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 31/7/02 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
what ever you decide, good luck with the build, see you at a show next summer ?????
dougal

posted on 31/7/02 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
yeh i will be building the chassis from modded plans. i have a mig so ill give it a shot.
chears

Cheffy

posted on 31/7/02 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Still new to this myself but I'd recommend a visit to Jim McSorley's web site if you're planning on building your own chassis.
http://www.mcsorley.net/locost/

Cheers, Cheffy

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 1/8/02 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh, I used his standard book plans, excellent, just laid the sections straight on the printed out sheets and cut them, every one spot on ... good luck ...
cymtriks

posted on 2/9/02 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Check out my earlier chassis mods as posted in the "mc Speedy chassis poll"
- you'll have to scroll back a bit to find this!
My suggested mods increase the torsional stiffness of the chassis by 100% while decreasing the weight by 10%. The total number of tubes is reduced. I make my living doing computer aided structural analysis and structural testing which is how I worked out the mods.
If you want me to explain or repeat the mods I'll do so.
Good luck with the build.

Dunc

posted on 3/9/02 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with Alan, get the front hubs you want instead of a get you by. Changing hubs once you've got your suspension points and steering rack fixed will alter the handling and camber changes drastically, maybe it'll make it better maybe worse but are you willing to take that risk?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.