Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Roll Cages ?
phelpsa

posted on 29/6/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone who has taken part in motorsport regularly will have met a variety of scrutineers. Some will let most things pass, some will pick up on things but let you run, some will stop you running on ANY technicality.

A scrutineer can stop you running for anything that IN HIS VIEW is an MSA regulation infringement.

You can argue till you're blue in the face that a cage is safe, and in all likelihood it is, but unless you can point to the specific regulations you are running the rollcage under in the Blue Book or an FIA standard number then the scrut has every right to stop you running. The point is that a badly designed cage can cause more damage than good.

I've seen a person stopped from running at a hillclimb because they were running a non-FIA approved, non MSA regulation roll cage in a class where a rollcage isn't required. Fair? Maybe not if the rollcage is safe. Necessary? Definitely if the rollcage could cause more damage in the event of an accident.

They can say 'that cage could be designed such that the bend in the tube could be removed, therefore you can't run'.

Its not your interpretation of the rules that matter at the end of the day.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 29/6/10 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Therefore a rollcage that complies with the Blue book (the MSA regulations) is instantly approved by the MSA/FIA as its their own guidelines. If this was not the case the Bluebook would be redundant and pointless.

They are individual processes. The FIA test cages and give approval certificates. The MSA say 'we will accept the FIA approval, or a cage to these regulations in the blue book'. A cage to the MSA regulations won't necessarily meet the FIA standards in a test.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 29/6/10 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
They are individual processes. The FIA test cages and give approval certificates. The MSA say 'we will accept the FIA approval, or a cage to these regulations in the blue book'. A cage to the MSA regulations won't necessarily meet the FIA standards in a test.

Oh I completely understand that, I was simply saying that you can race with an FIA approved cage OR a cage designed within the guidance in the Blue Book. Regardardless of FIA/MSA/ROPS, the blue book regs are guidelines that if followed will result in a compliant cage that a scrutineer will have no reason not allow to race.

procomp

posted on 29/6/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

The suggestion that i am in some way trying to promote my own rollcage design. Clearly shows yet more lack of understanding.
My fully certificated cage is only legal for fitment to certain cars and chassis design. And that does not include either the MK or the MNR.

This was a debate regarding rollcages. As it happens i do have quite a bit of knowledge regarding this subject because i have been through the process of full FIA certification and because i attend the FIA/MSA safety meetings regarding ROPS. During those meetings it is explained quite specifically as to what the FIA/MSA will and will not accept.

Now what really does get my goat is when people spend 15+K building a car to compete under FIA/MSA regulations and when they turn up for there first meeting they are told that the car does not comply with the very basic regulations laid out in the blue book. Just how do you think those people feel when they find out that there supplier of rollcage or manufacturer of there car has ignored all the basic info that is available and told the customer Ahh it OK we have done it that way before it's ok. !!! Yep thats right there are quite a few people who have turned up to race and been refused a scruitenering pass due to the BS and products they have been supplied. Ask your self how you would feel after laying out 15+k on a motor to then find yourself in that position. ?

So you will have to excuse me if you feel that way about my input to the debate. All i am doing is giving out what the FIA/MSA have said is and is not acceptable for use under FIA/MSA regulations. I have been quite clear regarding rollcages that comply to the drawing in the book and rollcages that do not and require full FIA testing. I don't see where you can get confused along those lines.

Cheers Matt

mogman1969

posted on 8/10/10 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
roll cages

dumb question time .......is it a legal requirement to actualy have a role cage ........
alistairolsen

posted on 8/10/10 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
no

My Build Thread

mogman1969

posted on 8/10/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
re no

hooooray

loggyboy

posted on 24/10/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
but bloody stupid not to have at least a rollbar!
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 24/10/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
How many MGF / Midgets etc have roll bars?

(i didn't include the MGF / MX5 as the bonded windscreen will provide some (no idea if its chocolate teapot of actually hold the car level) of support.

Me, i'm building a roll bar.

mogman1969

posted on 25/10/10 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
1275 cc single carb 145 x 14 inch tires and 22 years of driving ..........unlikely to roll the damn thing
cfc999

posted on 21/11/11 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Roll Cage

Just thought I'd post a few pics of my Sylva Striker's new cage fabricated by Protection and Performance near Barnoldswick in Lancashire.
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

kb58

posted on 19/7/12 at 01:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
... why not start with the roll cage , then make the chassis to it ?

That's what I did for my mid-engine setup:

[Edited on 7/19/12 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.