Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Is it worth moving up to 14gauge for extra Strength
Gremlin

posted on 3/9/02 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth moving up to 14gauge for extra Strength

Will it make it stronger to use the 14gauge or is it not worth it? Will it be loads heavier?
James

posted on 3/9/02 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
No, don't think so. I'll happily admit that torsional rigidity is not a topic I know anything about but from what I've read here and on TOL the added weight does not help the strength significantly.

There are apparently ways of reducing chassis weight but simultaneously increasing rigidity by removing/replacing certain rails. Look here or on TOL for posts about what to do in this respect.

HTH,

James

Ben 4x4 Shepperd

posted on 4/9/02 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have also been thinking of using 14 guage for around the engine but I doubt I will. People have used the standard chasis with 16swg whith ford v6 and they take it ok but I don't know how big the difference is from 16 to14 gauge is? Gremlin what engine are u using
Lars

posted on 4/9/02 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
i'm using 2mm thickness for my chassis, purely because i got it much cheaper than the 1.6mm stuff. I think it'll only be an extra 10 kilogram. I also hope to be using a v6.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/9/02 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
on my car, with a ford cologne v6, I used TWO lengths of rhs welded side by side for the engine mounts - g1 and g2 in the book.

Its only a bit more weight and i really didnt like the idea of all that engine on so little steel.

you can see pics of my mounts on TOL in the pic section

atb

steve

cymtriks

posted on 5/9/02 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
One of my earlier postings, which I think I called something like "free advice on how to improve the chassis" explains how to improve the torsional stiffness by 100%, reduce the weight by about 10% (for the chassis only) and reduce the total number of tubes. To answer your question, going to 2mm wall thickness will improve the chassis stiffness by 25% but will add 25% extra weight. This is a simple way to stiffen up the frame but isn't the most efficient. It may be worthwhile if you are thinking of installing a heavy engine and do not want to increase the size of the tubes though.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.