Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Upper mounts - Rear shocks
Dick Axtell

posted on 3/6/02 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Upper mounts - Rear shocks

Hi All -

Once more, apologies for any repetition (also posted on TOL).

Proposal: To weld M12 nut on to the upper rear shock mounting brkt. Bolt will be accessible from road wheel side.

What d'you all reckon? Any likely probs?

TIA
Dick

theconrodkid

posted on 3/6/02 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thats what i did on mine,no probs
Dick Axtell

posted on 4/6/02 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the confirmation.

Dick

Jon Ison

posted on 4/6/02 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I mounted my rears at an angle, that way i did'nt have the problem you describe, tops inlined toward center line of car.....
ChrisW

posted on 4/6/02 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
That's an excellent idea!

BTW I've drawn up a panel which goes right across the top with the suspension mounts on each side and mountings for 'cobra' hoops. Merlin can cut them on the laser if anyone wants one - I'll post a pic in the photos area.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 4/6/02 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Interested in the panel as I'm intending to use Cobra hoops. Let me know a cost when you have it.

Another question as it wasn't answered b4, disposable argoshield gas bottles or rent a large one? Not sure how many of the smaller ones I'm likely to need, and if it's worth shelling the extra on a rented bottle???

Jasper

john_s

posted on 4/6/02 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Another question as it wasn't answered b4, disposable argoshield gas bottles or rent a large one? Not sure how many of the smaller ones I'm likely to need, and if it's worth shelling the extra on a rented bottle???

I'm going to rent a bottle as soon as i get chance. I got through a disposable bottle in next to no time yesterday.

The disposable CO2 bottle which came with the welder seems to be lasting much better than the bottle of CO2/argon mix did yesterday.

John

--
John Singleton

Jasper

posted on 4/6/02 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
According to the info I have the CO2 does last twice as long, but according to a few on this forum argoshield is much better, tho haven't tried it myself yet, and as I've only just started welding I don't know if my welding is any good anyway (though it does seem to be getting better!)
Jon Ison

posted on 4/6/02 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
worth a try.........know any local engineering firms ? they may loan you a bottle for the cost of a refill ? the smaller family, car loving place is the one to try.......
john_s

posted on 4/6/02 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
According to the info I have the CO2 does last twice as long, but according to a few on this forum argoshield is much better, tho haven't tried it myself yet, and as I've only just started welding I don't know if my welding is any good anyway (though it does seem to be getting better!)

I've not done much welding before... and now just enough to get the bulk of my chassis tacked. I swapped from CO2 to a disposable bottle of CO2/argon yesterday, and found the welding vastly different... spent most of a bottle of gas trying to find a good setting for the welder to suit the different gas. I'm getting there now though.

After the replies to my post in the other topic about welding gas, I think i'll get a big bottle of argoshield from BOC and a regulator, or it will cost me a fortune in disposable bottles to fully weld the chassis.

Can anyone recommend a website with some info about welding? Could be useful.

John.

--
John Singleton

theconrodkid

posted on 5/6/02 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have used the co2 you get from pubs for years it cost me £5 a bottle lasts for ages
Jasper

posted on 5/6/02 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
My local welding shop will do a pub sized bottle of argoshield light for £24 + £37 annual hire, which seems ok. as I know know any local engineering firms... Even said to come down and they'll give me a few lessons! Apparently there's a video on mig welding available on the net, tho' I haven't found it yet, if anybody does, let me know.

Cheers
Jasper

ChrisW

posted on 5/6/02 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I have a 'no gas' welder. Yeah, yeah, I know you lot all slag them off but I think it's great. No messing around with gas bottles and regulators, just plug in and go!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 5/6/02 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper, and anyone else who is beginning welding, if anyone offers you lessons then accept, take your own welding equipment (and some cut pieces of the 1" RHS) and let them show you how to adjust it. The thing about videos etc, is that the video can't watch what you are doing and put you right, and can't set your equipment up, a teacher can.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

merlin

posted on 6/6/02 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
have been welding for years (although I don't claim to be a professional!)
a few tips -
The thicker the metal, the higher the ampage and the slower you move the torch.

When welding similar guages always point wire at the join.

Although welding vertically always gives a neater result it can be a weaker weld.

Always set up on scrap!, choose the amps you want and then adjust the wire speed to suit (until it stops 'spitting' - If it pops and spits rapidly then the wire speed is too fast!)

If you are welding thick and thin together - ie a 8mm plate to 1.6mm tube always weld bias the thicker and 'flick' onto the thinner (set welder for the thicker).

Lastly, if you see a definate 'shaddow' around the weld (seen more when painted) it is a cold weld and has not penetrated! DO NOT weld over it, clean it off and start again!

Hope this helps....

Jasper

posted on 6/6/02 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the tips. Spent an hour with the metal fabrication firm that I've got my Argoshield from this morning, really nice guys, taught me loads, and set up my machine, invaluable. Found out I needed far faster wire speed to what I was using, and now it's buzzing beautifully!!!
ChrisW

posted on 23/6/02 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
BTW I've drawn up a panel which goes right across the top with the suspension mounts on each side and mountings for 'cobra' hoops. Merlin can cut them on the laser if anyone wants one - I'll post a pic in the photos area.

These are ready now! From my design, laser cut by Merlin. Two pics in photo archive. £10 each!

Chris

My gaff my rules

jbmcsorley

posted on 25/6/02 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I plan to use cobra hoops as well... I used a 1"x3" piece of stock for the "O" tube.

I recently assembled this part of my build and you can review the pics in the "assembly" section of my website.

Cheers,
Jim M.
http://mcsorley.net/locost

jbmcsorley

posted on 25/6/02 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

I just checked out your roll bar hoops panel... nice laser cutting! Will the hoops extend below the plate and mate to the chassis down below?

Are you going for looks, or will the roll bars be functional as well?

Cheers,
-Jim M.

ChrisW

posted on 25/6/02 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Not decided how functional they're going to be yet - had just thought I'd make them out of exhaust tube and get it chrome plated but I'm starting to change my mind. If so I'll probably do what you say and have the hoops extend right down to the bottom which should put enough strength into the panel to use it for the harness mounts aswell.

Any suggestions for getting the tubes bent to shape?

quote:
nice laser cutting!

Laser cutting is spot on but I can't take credit for that!

Chris

jbmcsorley

posted on 2/7/02 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

sorry for delayed reply...

Regarding bending roll bar tube, the first question might be what material you're trying to bend. What I've seen (and I plan to use) is 1 5/8" OD chromoly tubing with at least an .065" wall (16 guage in the states) or .083 (14 guage). That will hold up to just about anything. I would not consider muffler tube for anything structural... it is usually very thin-wall in comparison.

Of course, the real question is bending. I'm fortunate to have a friend with a professional rig... but I recently found a company on the web that sells pre-bent tubing specifically for roll cages.

http://emporium.markwilliams.com/prodlist.asp?catid=1063

They sell a variety of pre-bent tubes, but SKU 36100 or 36172 might be spot on. Their paper catalog has more measurements, but their site has better photos. I'll let you know if I buy one just for fitting, photos, etc.

Cheers,
Jim M.

David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/02 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Any suggestions for getting the tubes bent to shape?

If you choose the right diameter tube (50mm x 3mm wall in my case) you can hire a hydraulic tube bender at any decent tool hire company.

Alternatively, have a look at Lolocost's ready-made hoops - not hugely expensive and available in a few sizes. They looked reasonably strong.

Usual caveat - no interest in Lolocost at all, not in the slightest, no no no, etc.

David
David

ChrisW

posted on 2/7/02 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
LoLo is a No no! As I've said before, I'm not buying anything from them again!

Hiring a tube bender, however, does seem like a good idea. I'll look into it.

Chris

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.