Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: which chassis for bike power?
lukefree233

posted on 23/6/02 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
which chassis for bike power?

Hi,

I’m just sorting out what bits to buy in order to start me off on my build.

I am going to buy a chassis as I really don’t fancy making my own. My problem is I’m having trouble deciding which to go for!

I’ve decided on an IRS set-up purely for the ease of finding parts, but I was set on the MK chassis after reading all the glowing reports on it but I’m not really sure if I like the extra width and height of the chassis.

Does anyone have any view on the other two chassis’s (ST and Luego), as they seem to keep to the book dims, i.e. is any better handling wise or build quality?

As I’m going to be using a bike lump i'm going to need a cradle I know ST has engine cradles on his site does anyone know if MK and Luego also do these (I’m really not into welding)

I’ve not ruled out any yet, I’m just after some feedback so I can make the best choice.

Cheers,

luke

Jon Ison

posted on 23/6/02 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
for what its worth..........

The MK seem's to be the most popular, and looks from what i've seen the best qaulity, but i agree, i don't like the shape, width either, but thats just personal, i know lots of people have had problems with ST, they don't seem very helpfull, as for Luego i can't comment, then there is lolocost.... mmm make your own mind up on that one, i live very near to them and have seen some very good work, but others on here have posted bad reports......

Why do you need a cradle ? the bike engine can be mounted without the use of this bit of extra weight ?

bob

posted on 23/6/02 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you dont like the indy shape i'm sure MK would make you a book version chassis.

Liam

posted on 24/6/02 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
The MK chassis is no wider than a book chassis. I found out as much at Newark before I was told to shove my tape measure where the sun don't shine. Thats at the cabin - maybe it's wider at the front?

MK has lovely IRS and lovely oval tube wishbones. I personally don't like the shape of the MK scuttle and nose cone though.

I remember seeing a lolocost IRS at last years Newark and the geometry looked crazy. But they do that robin hood like bent tube chassis now, don't they - so maybe they changed it.

Dunno much about the others though. All I've heard is stuart taylor's stuff is good but the service isn't.

Making your own isn't too bad if you buy the brackets...

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locodude

posted on 24/6/02 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All
Liam is right, the MK is the same width as a Locost at 42". Only the height is different. I must say I don't really like the frontal aspect as much as the locost. Martin does a plain scuttle as well as the flanged one although it also has tapered sides. Any locost scuttle and nose should fit as the front is'nt that different. My own scuttle and nose are MK (old stock) and I think they look fine. Personal preference and ease of availability really!
Why not go for the De Dion option in a low chassis just like his demo car! Just don't say I said it was still available!
As for engine cradles just give him your engine and he'll make one to fit if he does'nt have a template.
Chris PTM
P.s. If you need any MK info I see him on a regular basis so just mail me off list.

mikelancsuk

posted on 25/6/02 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Luke,

I have a Stuart Taylor motorsport chassis, these ive been told are ideal for bike engines, quality is excellent.
Not much more than an MK either, just over 500quid

lukefree233

posted on 26/6/02 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply's

I just assumed the car was wider as the mk uses std lengh halfshafts, but the other two are shortened!

As for lolocost, I have been told to stay away by a few people at work who have built robinhoods. They are not very helpfully and some bits are a bit iffy! I am assuming its basically the same people.

Not that keen on the Tubular chassis although they do say they do a lightweight version(no price). I`ll have to find out the weight of both.

Am I right in thinking that the standard chassis on its own is about 46kg. Is the IRS much different?

Has anyone got any info on the Luego at all as they are closer to me by a bit!

Thanks

luke

Simon

posted on 27/6/02 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Luke,

Luego have just announced a V8 chassis - see their (new?) website: http://www.luegosportscars.com for more details.

I've just sent off for Luego's front wishbones and related bits and pieces (bushes/inserts/nuts and bolts etc etc). I'll post an opinion, when parts arrive.

ATB

Simon

interestedparty

posted on 27/6/02 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a quick look at the Luego site, seems OK, scroll down to the bottom and there it is-
All Prices Plus Vat

It really grips my s*** the way firms do this. Even if a person was VAT registered it is virtually impossible to reclaim the vat on a vehicle like that. And how many of their customers (or those of any of the other firms that do it)are VAT registered anyway. Almost none would be my guess.

Why don't they just show the price you have to pay?

John (not VAT registered)

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/02 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
At a guess, they're hoping that they'll get some orders from abroad - where VAT rates are different.

However, I do agree with you. It would be much better if they quoted the all-inclusive price and put a notice at the end for the small number of non-UK buyers.

James

posted on 27/6/02 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Best would be to have both prices the way a lot of computer parts suppliers do.

James

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.