Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Are MK Chassis the best prebuilt?
Gremlin

posted on 2/7/02 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Are MK Chassis the best prebuilt?

Are the MK Engineering the best prebuilt chassis or are there better places to go? Please does anyone know? Or do i attemp to build it my self what is the cost difference?
David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/02 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Are the MK Engineering the best prebuilt chassis or are there better places to go? Please does anyone know? Or do i attemp to build it my self what is the cost difference?

MK are justifiably popular, due to the quality of their work and the reasonable cost. There are a few others around these days.

If you already have a MIG welder then DIY is easily the cheapest. If you have to buy a welder, and you have no other use for it, then buying a chassis is cheaper.

Another viewpoint is whether you are interested in learning construction techniques. I wanted to learn to weld, and wanted to say that I'd built it all myself. The down-side is the fact that it will take a lot longer.

cheers,

David

Gremlin

posted on 2/7/02 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I would like to build it my self but not sure i would be confident in my welding! I have done a little before and although felt it went ok not sure i would like to put my life on the line with a high powered engine strapped to it!
interestedparty

posted on 2/7/02 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
My view is that if you need to ask the question then it would be much better to buy a ready-made chassis. There will be plenty of building left for you to do

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Jon Ison

posted on 2/7/02 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
for an idea on cost, the steel for my chassis cost £43, enjoyed every minute of building it, it also gave me the choice to put the little touch's in i wanted too....

but, if i paid myself a fiver an hour then it would have cost a fair bit more than a bought one.....but none of the satisfaction.

Gremlin

posted on 3/7/02 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I too woulod like to build it from scratch so i have the satisfation but i have only a little welding experince. Its the welding difficult and would an average job be good enough? Especially if i want to put it on the road does my welding get Scrutinised?
RoadkillUK

posted on 3/7/02 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've never welded a thing before and my results are available to view in the photo's section, if you feel the need.

I will admit that a few of my welds do need re-doing but I'm confident that the whole thing will stay together.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian Pearson

posted on 3/7/02 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my chassis as I had never welded before. I had to mod it to take the Pinto. Welding has now reached a point where I would happily construct my own chassis. My advice would be to buy some steel and practice, practice, practice. The satisfaction you will get from the fruits of your labour far outway anything else in my opinion.
David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/02 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
I was in the same boat - I had done all sorts of soldering, brazing, etc. but no arc welding of any sort.

After getting my MIG I enrolled in a couple of 1-day courses at the local agricultural college. This was enough to get the basic techniques down - torch angles, tracking speed, etc - then I went away and spent a week or two welding bits of scrap together until it looked right.

Once the welds looked OK I then tried breaking them with a lump hammer, or hacksawing across the joints to check weld penetration.

After finding that I could totally wreck the square tube without breaking the weld I started on the chassis!

Essential accessories for a welder are an angle grinder and a critical eye - if a weld looks remotely suspect then grind it out and start again. I did that a few times!

cheers,

David

liftarn

posted on 10/7/02 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If you already have a MIG welder then DIY is easily the cheapest. If you have to buy a welder, and you have no other use for it, then buying a chassis is cheaper.

Ok, but if you aren't living in the UK and can pick it up yourself. Would that change the cost situation? I'm considering getting a local welder to do the chassis. If I'm lucky I might get a friend of a friend to do it for a pizza and a few beers, but I think even a commercial welder would perhaps be cheaper.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 10/7/02 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
it may not look like a lot 1" box, but its like when you start painting a gate, it takes forever....they may be short welds but there are loads o the buggers.... i think it would be expensive to pay a welder to do the job, he as a living to make and it would take a fair bit of time.....
Alan B

posted on 10/7/02 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
it may not look like a lot 1" box, but its like when you start painting a gate, it takes forever....they may be short welds but there are loads o the buggers.... i think it would be expensive to pay a welder to do the job, he as a living to make and it would take a fair bit of time.....

Agreed Jon,

If you added up the actual "arc" time it may be quite low, but you won't be giving the guy a set of parts in fixture ready to weld (at least I assume not). It's the cutting, fitting, tacking, squaring, grinding, tweaking, etc. that take the time, not really the welding as such.
IMO at least.

Jasper

posted on 10/7/02 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I've been welding for just a few weeks now and I've nearly finished fully welding the chassis. I have absoltely no experience whatsoever, but most of the welds are pretty neat now, and even the ugly ones seem to have good penetration. I'll just go back and grind out a few of the early ones!

I would recommend to anyone to do it themselves, by the time I've bought the mig, rented gas, bought the steel, it's probably not a whole lot less than buying, but as many have said the satisfaction of seeing it take shape is fantastic. And I know even if I bought a chassis there would bound to be mods I would need to do so I would have ended up having to get a MIG anyway.

Now I've got the gear and know-how for any future projects as well. And if somebody asks me what kit is it?, I can say it's all hand-built.

theconrodkid

posted on 10/7/02 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
when it realy hits you is when you have finnished painting the chassis,stand back and adrire your handiwork,the feeling of satisfaction is imense
David Jenkins

posted on 11/7/02 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
...and a bit later, when the car's up on its wheels and the panels are on, when the wife says "It's starting to look really good, now".

Up until then she'd only regarded it as a heap of metalwork cluttering up the garage. That cheers you up no end!

David

Gremlin

posted on 11/7/02 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
I think I’m going to give it a go! My fathering law owns a engineering firm who do loads of milling welding etc for larger companies and although himself is not a welder hopefully he can source material quite cheaply and if needed possibly get some pointers from his welders! Oh well what’s worse case. Like you say even if I buy chassis I will probably need welder so that out lay is almost certain so if I cant do it and buy a chassis I have only wasted cost of box iron! Oh well will keep me quite!
David Jenkins

posted on 11/7/02 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you're ideally placed!

The best advice is to get a decent MIG (ask at the firm - someone may be thinking of upgrading) then ask one of the welders to help you to set the dials.

Get an hour or so practice while he's watching, and listen to his advice.

It's worth a couple of pints!

David

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.