Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting a Duratec 2.5 V6
RazMan

posted on 15/9/05 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
As a matter of interest I am using a Duratec V6 in my Aeon middy - very compact it is too. The main challenge is finding an ECU and loom at a reasonable price.

If you want, I can email you a spec sheet which might be useful

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 15/9/05 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
oops - meant to post a pic Rescued attachment aeon rear.jpg
Rescued attachment aeon rear.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gav

posted on 16/9/05 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice

Decided to go with a fireblade engine for this build though.

Just out of interest did which ECU did you use, the standard one? as i assume this would take care of the variable valve timing.

cymtriks

posted on 17/9/05 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
V6 and width and other bits...

A 4 valve V6 might actually be wider than a 2 valve V8. So just because a V8 will fit doesn't mean that a V6 will !

Also due to the angle of the V a V8 exhaust is possibly going down and out of the engine bay more steeply than a V6 exhaust and so is more likely to miss the engine bay sides.

A measurement across the entire engine, including all the ancilliaries and the exhaust headers is what you need. The bare engine can be mis leading!

RazMan

posted on 17/9/05 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gav
Just out of interest did which ECU did you use, the standard one? as i assume this would take care of the variable valve timing.

I havent sorted one out yet - the standard Ford jobbie is apparently nearly impossible to use because it 'looks' for lots of security related stuff on the car. I will probably have to go with an aftermarket system which will cost the earth.

Cheers,
Raz

Gav

posted on 17/9/05 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
when i was looking at it i was looking at mega squirt, the only problem was getting the variable value timing to kick in.

might be worth you checking http://www.probetalk.com for ecu options

RazMan

posted on 17/9/05 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest I didn't know that it had VVT - no mention of it in the spec. Are we talking about the same engine? The Ford 2.5L V6 24 valve Duratec VE?
You might be referring to the Jaguar AJ-V6 engine and Mazda's AJ version which both have VVT.

[Edited on 17-9-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

Gav

posted on 17/9/05 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
eer sorry meant the variable intake length thingy VRIS think it was called.
Variable Resonance Induction System.

RazMan

posted on 18/9/05 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, I'm with you now

Sure enough, you will have a job trying to integrate Ford's VRIS into any engine management system. I have been told that the easiest way is to hold the secondary inlet butterflies open permanently with a bracket of some sort and treat it as a conventional engine from there - in theory this would mean a small loss of low-down torque (which shouldn't hurt too much in a light kit car) but I have yet to jump this canyon to see if this is true I have lightened the flywheel to help make the engine more revvy so I doubt that I will find this much of a problem.

[Edited on 18-9-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

Gav

posted on 18/9/05 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ah ok, well let me know how you get on with it.

interestingly enough you can get the source for the megasquirt system
http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=megasquirt&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0

I had visions of adding an output when the revs hit the required RPM.

infact i want to play about with he megasquirt stuff so once my car is completed with fireblade engine running carbs im thinking of making my own throttle bodies and setting up the megasqurit stuff for fun and as a good learning excercise.

any how let me know how you get on

aweekes1

posted on 18/9/05 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you make sure you use a V6 from a Mk2 mondeo, there is a box just under the black plastic cover on the front that deals with opening the secondaries. You could easily knobble this box I think. Basically program a digital output on the ECU to open the secondaries at around 2500-3000 rpm or at any revs under wide open throttle then you are away...
aweekes1

posted on 18/9/05 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Forogt to add: Visit the forums at www.fordmondeo.org for infor/advice about any mondeo engine. These chaps were a goldmine when I had engine hassles with my V6 (In the mondeo)
RazMan

posted on 18/9/05 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aweekes1
Forogt to add: Visit the forums at www.fordmondeo.org for infor/advice about any mondeo engine. These chaps were a goldmine when I had engine hassles with my V6 (In the mondeo)

Agreed - you can really get to the problem quickly with all their experience on tap

My engine is from an ST24 so I guess the little black box is around somewhere - probably in a box in the garage Although I haven't explored the possibilities regarding the ECU, I gather this engine is particularly difficult due to all the sensors employed in the design...... thanks Henry!

Cheers,
Raz

lexi

posted on 19/9/05 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Been lookin over the years at all these muscle engines for Lotus seven types. Am I missing something or pray tell me .....How on earth can you put all that power down on to the road without spending a fortune reworking frame suspension etc. Don`t see how you can use it other than on a short flat dry stretch of road for a short distance.....Especially witha live axle
Alex

Liam

posted on 20/9/05 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
FOUR WHEEL DRIIIIIVE!!!!

Woo hoo!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.