Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk Chassis which?
Gremlin

posted on 17/8/02 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mk Chassis which?

I have decided or should i say the missis has decided i would be safer buying a chassis than making one! I think i would be ok but must keep her sweet. Anyway i am going to buy a chassis from Mk Eng and wondered it the only differnce between the Indy and the book chassis was the IRS or do they have different mesurments?
UncleFista

posted on 17/8/02 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
The Indy is a fair bit bigger than a "book" Locost.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Gremlin

posted on 17/8/02 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Do they do a book chassis with irs or is it because of the irs it is bigger? Does this mean engine area etc is bigger?
locodude

posted on 17/8/02 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
The basic dimensions of the Indy are the same as the Locost. I.e. 42" wide internally but a little more room for seats as the centre tunnel is a bit narrower. The side rails at the front are higher to accomodate the pinto engine and it has an irs at the rear. If you want a book chassis he'll build you one no sweat as he still supplies at least 15 chassis a year for a racing series in Norway to the same regs as the Locost series. They are seriously good quality as well. Ask anyone on this list who has seen a chassis!
Chris PTM
No ties to MK other than the fact he is a good friend to whom I supply parts!!!! OK several ties then but that does'nt invalidate my comments, me paranoid, who said that etc......

Gremlin

posted on 17/8/02 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Do there indy chassis take the standard nose cone and other GRP bits they and other companys do? Would they be able to sort out mounts etc if i want to use Vx 2.0i 8v engine. I would like to do as little mods the chassis as possble if im buying one as my work will never be the same quality!
locodude

posted on 18/8/02 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
The indy takes the same nose, bonnet and scuttle as a std chassis. I shouls know, they're fiited to mine (book home built chassis). See my website or photo archive for results.
Chris PTM

Gremlin

posted on 18/8/02 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Im buying a chassis couse missis dont trust my welding not sure why but hay must keep her happy! I would like to use a Vx 2.0i 8v engine but if im buying chassis would want to drop an engine straght in without modifying the chassis myself. Would MK be able to put in mounts for this engine or have they got some recommended engines which will produce this sort of power output which they can make the chassis ready to drop in?
Gremlin

posted on 19/8/02 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Just spoken to Jim at MK. Nice bloke!

In the space of 10 minutes sorted all my newbie questions out. It may be a boring standard combo but i think im going 2lt pinto with one of there mutts nuts Indy starter kits! Maybe next time i will build the chassis myself.

Argh the relief i feel now i know what I’m doing!

Expect a new order soon just let me get my pennys together!

mad-butcher

posted on 19/8/02 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
congrats on your choice I bought one on the strength of martins ability to build brilliant wishbones the plastic tanks aren't bad value either along with the dashboards. one point is that if you are using a F/glass rear panel the chassis doesn't have the tube at the top of the luggage area. so make sure you tell martin if youre using an ally panel rear end or F/glass
you won't be disappointed just have a look at tony's in this months kit car
regards
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locodude

posted on 19/8/02 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All
Just one thing to remember, if you're building an Indy for performance, don't go Tony skeldings route. That car has 100kg of chrome on it, I go out with him regularly and have to wear 2 pairs of sunglasses if he's leading(it was murder in Le Mans, we all suffered chrome blindness, ask ChrisG)!!! He's on about putting a Cozzy engine in it (it won't fit T.). He needs it just to carry the excess weight!!
Chris PTM
Lightweight and proud of it!

paulbeyer

posted on 19/8/02 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm building an Indy and saw Tony's chrome covered car at Stoneleigh and fell in love with it. I took my wishbones to a local chrome plater recently and he refused to chrome them because he reckoned chrome would not show any stress fractures that might occur at a later date.

Anyway after he gave me a price I decided to have them painted and buy a pair of seats with the change.

locodude

posted on 19/8/02 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I know a guy up here that can do a full set of bones, front and rear for about £30. It's who you know that counts!
Chris PTM

Gremlin

posted on 19/8/02 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Is there much different weight wise with the Indy? I was going to go pinto 2.0lt to start then possibly bike engine later. Any advice!

I was going to use Vx 2.0i 8v but dont think they make the mounts etc. Im buying a chassis so i dont need to mod it so was going with the pinto for ease and although heavy cheaply tunable!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.