Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: sprint car
budgetbuilder

posted on 12/7/04 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
sprint car

If you were building a locost with the intention of competing in sprints and hillclimbs, possibly converting the car into a road legal version after time, would you go with a regular roll bar or a full cage?

I'm more inclined to go for the full cage for safety sake and in the hope that I might actually be able to commit myself a bit more! Also, aside from the additional bracing used by the 750MC cars, would anyone advise of extra bracing around the car at any point?

[Edited on 12/7/04 by budgetbuilder]

"If I'm not looking out of the rear window, I think I can save it...." Roger Clark

zilspeed

posted on 12/7/04 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
At the very least, go with an MSA spec braced roll bar - ideally with detachable petty strut. A normal roll hoop with no bracing is pretty useless unless you are no longer moving when you invert the car. A bit unlikely to say the least.
I have to agree with your theory about a beefy rollcage lending confidence - it's what I'm looking to do as well.
As regards the back braces, remember they must go to somewhere on the chassis that allows them to triangulate the structure properly. Anything less is not best practice.
Also remember that when working out the height of the bar, you want to be able to draw a line between the top of the bar to the forward most point of the structure and still have 50mm clearance for your fully helmeted head. Remember, on any se7en, that means where the chassis stops, not the front of the nosecone.
The older I get, the less attractive killing myself gets.
P.S. I am very much an amatuer when it comes to this side of things. All the above is only my thoughts and findings on the matter.

andyps

posted on 12/7/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the above. It is also interesting how many of the serious hillclimber have side bars on their "sevens" - as with this Locost (and yes, that is an MK GT1 in the background). Rescued attachment Image016_17A.jpg
Rescued attachment Image016_17A.jpg

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

budgetbuilder

posted on 13/7/04 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
LOL! you appear to have confused me with a "serious" hillclimber!!!

thanks for the advice, i think i'll go with the full cage as intended though i havent done any research into the difference in weight but i'm sure a week off the pies will balance it all out! I presume the chassis manufacturer will be able to measure up a cage to suit my size when I get round to ordering the chassis?

"If I'm not looking out of the rear window, I think I can save it...." Roger Clark

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.